Rotten transom >

Rotten transom

Notices

Rotten transom

Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
This is horrible I sure wish there was some sort of recourse for us all... Lynch mob with torches and pitchforks! lol
Some of this is worse then others. A 47' only a couple years old? Completely unacceptable. Mid 90's boat? That is a different story. Sucks either way, but 20 yrs and multiple owners, I cut fountain a little slack. I have seen cigs, active thunders, bajas, fountains, etc. with rot issues. It always sucks but it happens. It's cheaper then new headers if you get your hands dirty we did two complete transom replacements from running boats to running boats on nights and weekends in six weeks. It can be done without a tremendous amount of skill.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a scary posting. I have an "88" 29 and now I think I need to look way closer. I Absolutely cannot understand anyone doing that kind of job. I take pride in all my work. Do the best I can on all Engines and Fab work. Weather a Briggs engine Or a High end performance engine. They all get the same treatment. Thanks for all the posts. I am learning a lot from you all.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Again. It's tough to say what has happened over 10-20 years. I promise you this. If a boat has wood it will most certainly rot at some point.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRALLEN
Had same thing here with a 1997 32 fever. Rotted from the exhaust tips leaking. I installed different style tips. Tips that have a flange, that are screwed to the transom.
I paid $4900.00 just for the glass work that was need. I pulled the motors and drive and reinstall everything myself.
YUP just saw 1999 38 wood between rear seat and engine compartment had all rotted out and had to be totally replaced What a build guess what they did not even have ANY fiberglass at all they just gel coated over the wood . TOTAL GARBAGE
Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Registered
VIP Member

My bulkhead and stringers were repaired/replaced using Nidacore rather than wood ... no rot issues in the future with that!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Always feel sorry for guys who have to go through this stuff with a boat that really should be waterproof.
Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on other threads about CC's vs go fast and outboard vs stern drives. I guess no boat is totally immune to the possibility but it is another vote for outboards. Very few holes through the transom that could be exposed and a lot less 'machinery' bolted through stringers and bulkheads too.

Maybe we'll see a spate of outboard freaks rebuilding transoms in the near future, hope mine is not one of them!

RR
Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to give you all a heads-up, make sure your clamps are tight on the rubber exhaust hoses, if they leak at all, guess where it goes
Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Again. It's tough to say what has happened over 10-20 years. I promise you this. If a boat has wood it will most certainly rot at some point.
I have a 1979 carrera no rot!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by pinball
I have a 1979 carrera no rot!
Agreed. Well made, well cared for boats shouldn't rot. Not here to start a brand war but it's Very rare do you hear a cigarette rotting. Unless it's been abused, sunk, etc. the same can be said for many other brands.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Not here to start a brand war but it's Very rare do you hear a cigarette rotting. .
what? are you sure about that????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.