Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Crashed Patriot >

Crashed Patriot

Notices

Crashed Patriot

Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I grew up on big cruisers and we often traveled at night. But in a performance boat the problem is staying on plain at a slow speed.

As someone mentioned, your nav markers are listed on most all plotter maps. But that doesn't mean they are exactly where the plotter says. I was cruising the river one night just a mile from my house and saw something go by 3' off my starboard. Seems a barge had snagged one of the 3 red sand bar makers across from my house and it popped loose a half mile from where it belonged. Sure got my attention... I can't judge the operator on this one. Everyone walked away, so it falls under the "S__t Happens" category.

I'm likely going to add a FLIR system on my next boat. Checked them out at Miami show this year, and the range is up and prices way down. After running Lake Cumberland end to end on a moonless night couple years back with nothing more than the Navonics App, I'm all about high tech night vision on a boat.

Last edited by kidturbo; 06-23-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago we decided to boat up to a fireworks show and watch from the river, after the show we headed back downriver to our dock and as we rounded the bend leaving town suddenly realized no moon tonight!
no problem we brought one of those million candle power lights . As we got farther from town it got darker and darker with very few lights near the shores. Had my wife up fron scanning back and forth with the light and very narrowly missed colliding with a huge basalt rock jutting out of the water . We new it was out there but couldn't see it at all , just the ripples on the water where it passes by. We wre at idle and it scared the chit out us !
last nite boating for us , as you might as well shined that light up you're butt.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The whole concept of relying on a chartplotter for night navigation is insane. I always wondered what kind of carnage would come from hitting a buoy like that. Now I know.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Love how people rush to judge without ANY facts.... he could have been running 100 MPH drunk,,,,, or just on plane and had a heart attack. Likely somewhere in between but " obviously self inflicted " is just an ignorant comment at this juncture.

I feel honored to be surrounded by such perfect individuals that could never possible make a mistake, or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Feel free to bash me,,,,,its expected.

Last edited by obnoxus; 06-23-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
Many years ago we decided to boat up to a fireworks show and watch from the river, after the show we headed back downriver to our dock and as we rounded the bend leaving town suddenly realized no moon tonight!
no problem we brought one of those million candle power lights . As we got farther from town it got darker and darker with very few lights near the shores. Had my wife up fron scanning back and forth with the light and very narrowly missed colliding with a huge basalt rock jutting out of the water . We new it was out there but couldn't see it at all , just the ripples on the water where it passes by. We wre at idle and it scared the chit out us !
last nite boating for us , as you might as well shined that light up you're butt.
Took a ride today, this is the rock [ATTACH=CONFIG]556728[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Crashed Patriot-dsc_0041.jpg  
Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no problem we brought one of those million candle power lights .

you might as well shined that light up you're butt.
Turning on one of those spotlights at night is one of the worst things you can do. It destroys your night vision. You're far better off allowing your eyes to night adapt (~30mins). I've been out there on moonless nights before and its tempting to want to turn on a light, but that white light immediately erases your night adaptation, then you're stuck looking through a very short straw.

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The whole concept of relying on a chartplotter for night navigation is insane. I always wondered what kind of carnage would come from hitting a buoy like that. Now I know.
There is a small benefit of the chartplotter at night. If your gps leaves a bread crum trail and you've navigated that area before without hitting something, then you can follow the bread crum trail. But for navigating unfamiliar waters, yeah its useless lol.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait sorry, in the spirit of this thread: So you didn't consult your Nautical Almanac prior to going out that night!? What an idiot!!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=ToMorrow44;4452731]Turning on one of those spotlights at night is one of the worst things you can do. It destroys your night vision. You're far better off allowing your eyes to night adapt (~30mins). I've been out there on moonless nights before and its tempting to want to turn on a light, but that white light immediately erases your night adaptation, then you're stuck looking through a very short straw.

I totally understand what you are saying but out in the sticks where I live used to be very dark, and I'm kind of a fan of the that but out on the water when it's like being in a cave is a bit unnerving to say the least, let alone with a boat full of children.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Wait sorry, in the spirit of this thread: So you didn't consult your Nautical Almanac prior to going out that night!? What an idiot!!
Lol, not much nautical info in the middle of the desert. More so in the early 90s.
The new moon part, total fu on our part.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

If my boat is in motion, my GPS is on, leaving breadcrumbs. You never know when you will need to navigate back safely, and/or more importantly; if someone else needs to navigate or drive back in an emergency. I just had THE 5 most important people in my life on a boat on Saturday night, and ran back from dinner on plane using GPS and tribal knowledge of the lake. Should I be keelhauled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.