Power steering issues >

Power steering issues

Notices

Power steering issues

Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issues

Been running my 35 Lightning for a bit and everything has been working flawlessly until this last week. Power (hydraulic) steering works perfect when I first fire up and run, but after about 20 mins of running it "fades" away more and more until no power steering at all. I stopped a few times to float and swim for a few hours and fired back up and sometimes it works somewhat (maybe 50%) and sometimes it's just as bad as when I stopped to float. Always works the next morning though. I checked the rams and found no damage and/or leaks. Fluid is at correct operating level. Maybe air in the line? Can you bleed the system somehow? Any ideas on what to check for?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is belt slipping?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Registered

Not that I'm aware of but since you mentioned that, I just put new belts on a few weeks ago. I'll double check that to make sure they're tight. Those belts expand when they warm up?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe do a full fluid change. Could be old/contaminated and getting weak with heat.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Had same issue. Check for leaks at the helm pump behind steering wheel in back panel. If the steering "chatters" a little and goes south, its that. Teague Marine in CA. supplied IMCO part to replace it. If its an Eaton pump (marked on outside), they dont make the part anymore. I looked.
Have to change it an "O" ring install and change the studs to metric in order to install. a PITA!!

Try the Pump filter also. It could be clogged with stuff. You may need to replace the filter anyway if contaminated.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Belts expand when warm IF they are NOT marine belts. Mercruiser belts stay where they are always (well almost always)