Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Can i drive my boat in reverse forward???? >

Can i drive my boat in reverse forward????

Notices

Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i drive my boat in reverse forward????

I went to buy a new propeller a little different then what I am running now. I run a left handed rotation on a single drive boat (29 fever). The guy at the store had the prop I wanted but in right handed rotation. He told he would let me try it see if I liked before he ordered a left handed prop. He said to drive the boat in reverse which means it will go forward. He said there is no difference between forward and reverse except for you shift lever. I find this bazar. Can I do this? is there any truth to this?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a bravo yes. And if you keep the prop. Just switch the cable at the controls and your back to forward for forward.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:16 AM
Registered

He's correct. You'll put the shifter into reverse and your throttle will work as normal. If you like it, swap the cables at the controls like class6 said and you're good to go.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Registered

If you run a right handed prop the boat will list (tilt) to one side. Tried it and it's pretty bad. There is a reason the prop is a left from the factory. Jeff Wurl
Old 08-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Registered

BS You can run them either way. No difference unless your running twins. In this case you have a little less control in reverse with the props spinning in ,in reverse then you do with them spinning out. Turning in they have a little more cavitation in reverse then they do when they turn out. Other than this case no difference. The fellows are telling you right with the exception on the guy with the boat listing story. If you like the prop change the shift cable around like they are telling you.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you by chance have drive showers, they may not function properly
Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Only while going in counter clockwise circles (as long as you are in the northern hemisphere) while rubbing your belly and patting your head.....
Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be reading this wrong but I think the OP is asking about a single engine application. If he is 1) yes you can drive the boat in "reverse" to go forward. 2) if you go from left to right hand rotation in a single engine application the boat will lean to the port due to the prop going in the same direction as engine rotation (engine torque). You will have to drag your port tab at cruise to balance the boat. I just went from right hand rotation to left and the "lean" is much less. I went from right hand 26p bravo, where I used to have to run the port tab 4-5 on the indicator to running left hand 28p where I sometimes have to run the starboard tab at 3.5 to flatten the boat, due to a cross wind. It naturally runs much more true with the left hand rotation.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will also be good cause the gears in your drive are worn. Swicthing in to reverse will give you all new areas for wear to occur. But it may make you snap a shaft too