Best power and drive >

Best power and drive

Notices

Best power and drive

Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best power and drive

I just bought a 98 single step 29 Fountain with.a 525 sc. The motor has 288 hours and I intend to run it at least another 20 hours before winter. I am going to do the top end this winter and may make a few mods to add a few more HP.

Before I spend too much more on this motor, I would like to ask what would be your ideal motor and drive combo?
Why would you choose that combo?

Now what combo would you get with a $20000.00 budget? I really like all the info you get with smartcraft with my new 300 xs in my little boat and I might want a newer motor in the Fountain down the line.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roll the dice and find a motor for 15 grand on the internet. Then put at least 5 grand into your outdrive to stand up to it. I personally would put 15 grand into what you got and start with h beam rods and get a bigger blower . Then put 5 grand into your outdrive. Don't forget $ for new prop. you are going to need a bigger one
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned my 500efi into a clone 525 that made 585 hp and freshened my xr drive for well within your budget. I'm still playing the prop game but did hit 80mph gps with light load and good conditions.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

You can make 600 hp +/- with your 525SC for far less money than you mention. Did two of them years back and they were said to dyno around 630 by the second owner, never tested them myself, but no reason to not believe the one who did.

With your hours plan a general freshen up, then just add a SuperChiller with their pulley upgrade, change out the Merc large upper pulley for their smaller one. Takes the boost up a little even with the chiller. I believe mine were right around 10, stock I think Merc has them at 5. This is a very reliable package, served me well for 8 seasons with nothing but oil and filter changes every 25 hrs and new plugs at the start of the seasons. You will need to go to an XR drive, regular Bravos will not hold up, least the seven I toasted never did.

The Merc Racing 525 SC has been written up many times over the years as the most reliable supercharged perf motor offered by a manufacturer. Even Hot Rod magazine wrote about in an article about supercharged engines. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, just polish it up a bit.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-07-2016 at 03:54 PM.