Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
New Fountain Trim Tab location? >

New Fountain Trim Tab location?

Notices

New Fountain Trim Tab location?

Old 10-03-2002, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that race boats actually sharpen the edge of the transom to help shed water off the boat. Maybe the tabs pull water up the transom, which would slow the boat down??? I wonder how the tabs perform being mounted like that?
Dan
Old 10-03-2002, 11:42 PM
Registered

My understanding is that if the boat launches off a wave the back hits the water first. If the tabs are mounted with the bottom and they are down, it will push the boat to the other side. So if the boat launches and comes down with the right side first it will kind of roll the left, and at high speed you don't want that. That's what a friend told me, his tabs are mounted like that and he used to race his boat.
Mike
Old 10-04-2002, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My tabs are the usual way on my cat and they ack very on-off with very litlle inbetween. Maybe with them mounted this way there is more ?'tapered' input into the water-- less effect at first and then more progressive increase in effect as they go down and more of the tab hits the water. Less on-off effect.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

Marginmn

If you look close you will see that to mount the tabs the way they are now the swim platform is different. The sides of the platform are cut out at the bottom to allow for the tab potioning. This is true on both 35 models.(single and double step). I already thought of that. Drats!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 361 Likes on 123 Posts

Bummer, thanks.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a pic of a Velocity where the tabs are mounted like that also??, I seriously doubt it increases speed that much, since running WOT tabs are usualyy all the way up anyway?????

WILL
Old 10-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

It is truely 2-4 MPH faster than the old position. I have driven both on the same day with the same power. Also, I don't think Fountain would have gone thru the trouble of changing the molds for the heck of it.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:21 PM
dockmech

I agree with the fellow earlyer , how can the boat be faster if the tabs are all the way up. no mater where they are mounted. if you put your brake peddal on the left side of your car instead of the right , you mean to tell me your car will run faster if the brakes are not on. half the people I have run boats against dont even know what full throttle is . they think were nuts but we have the real need for speed.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

Be careful if you mount your tabs like this. My buddy boat a new 35' classic and his tabs are mounted this way, one day coming in to a beach with the drives up and in gear his prop hit one of the tabs. The dealer had to cut the tabs at an angle to keep that from happening again.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Marginmn
Heck I'd drill holes in her dinning room table and mount it on the back of the boat if it would pick up 4 mph. But I just don't see how tabs could make the boat go faster, since the boat generally sees its fastest speeds when they are completly out of the water, no?
LMAO.. i'll stop bye and bring the wood dowel.. for the table that is... she'll never know..