38EC - Westerbeke Generator problem >

38EC - Westerbeke Generator problem

Notices

38EC - Westerbeke Generator problem

Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 38EC - Westerbeke Generator problem

I own a 2004 38EC. Great boat but it's 5kw Westerbeke generator can be hard to start. I typically have to pump its choke linkage to get it to start. Once started it runs great but this starting issue bugs me. The shop that services my boat has tried numerous times to get a new carburetor or carb rebuild kit from Westerbeke but Westerbeke keeps sending them the wrong parts (4 attempts have been made). I'm curious if other 38EC owners who have a Westerbeke generator have experience similar problems, and if so what was your resolution? Also if anyone knows a good Westerbeke contact that might be able to get my shop the correct parts, that would be appreciated too.

While I'm still holding out hope my shop can find replacement Westerbeke parts, if that falls through I'll have to bite the bullet on a new generator. (A real shame considering this generator has low hours and runs great once it starts). Any advice as to what brand/model generator I should be buy would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SR-71; 11-11-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My Kohler 6.5 kW generator is about the only original thing original left on my 1997 so it must be a good one. I've personally used it for 11 years and will knock on wood right now.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to be parting out a Westerbeke 5.0BCG from my 2005 38EC. Actually have a spare complete too. Didn't start tearing it apart yet but will be soon. My direct email is best [email protected]
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with mine. I just removed the carb, cleaned and replaced all the in-line fuel filters. There are two, one cartridge filter in a canister on the engine and one in-line where the fuel line connects. I had a third water separator mounted on the fire wall, but removed that one. I also found on e-bay where someone sells a EFI conversion for about $2K. A lot of money, but much cheaper than a new gen!