29 Fountain w single. PROS? CONS?

Notices

29 Fountain w single. PROS? CONS?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 4,730 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
BS - not in rough water.
The X dimension Fountain runs in rough water will blow out.
I owned a Checkmate 251 and could walk away from 27 Fountains in rough water.
Maybe I was just a much better driver.
Insanity can add a lot of speed in rough water.
I have a video of my Scarab racing a 40 Fountain that had more HP than me and HE couldn't keep the props in the water.
The video has been posted here before.
None of this makes any sense whatsoever. I wouldn`t even know where to start.. so..
please post video
The following users liked this post:
Slandrew57 (02-22-2022)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

Wow just wow. I think every time someone post a thread about a new 41 outterlimits I am going to jump on about how that includes a HUGE (insert Donald's voice) brustle.

Anyway to the OP,

Take Mike's advise, lake MI can get nasty fast, been out in it before on small CC's and didn't watch weather and I will tell you it is not fun. If you say that most boating will be rivers and lake and only go out when it's nice the 29 will be a great boat. Grew up in that region most don't understand unless they have boated on the "lake".

If you are talking most on lake MI I think you will want something bigger, to short of a season to be sitting waiting for the lake to calm down.

I also want to say during one rough Chicago poker run I know that a 28AT didn't go out. He told me it was too rough. This was when he was selling the 28 to buy a 37,,,,,,don't know if any 37's went out.
If you look up the pictures that was a rough one. The old eliminator dealer has a picture of him running where I swear it looks like he is higher in the air then the chopper!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Wow just wow. I think every time someone post a thread about a new 41 outterlimits I am going to jump on about how that includes a HUGE (insert Donald's voice) brustle.

Anyway to the OP,

Take Mike's advise, lake MI can get nasty fast, been out in it before on small CC's and didn't watch weather and I will tell you it is not fun. If you say that most boating will be rivers and lake and only go out when it's nice the 29 will be a great boat. Grew up in that region most don't understand unless they have boated on the "lake".

If you are talking most on lake MI I think you will want something bigger, to short of a season to be sitting waiting for the lake to calm down.

I also want to say during one rough Chicago poker run I know that a 28AT didn't go out. He told me it was too rough. This was when he was selling the 28 to buy a 37,,,,,,don't know if any 37's went out.
If you look up the pictures that was a rough one. The old eliminator dealer has a picture of him running where I swear it looks like he is higher in the air then the chopper!
I respectfully disagree, I boat the great lakes, and I don't care how big your boat is, when they start getting to 6 footers and above, nobody goes out, just not fun, and there's nobody else is out there anyways. As far as getting caught by the weather, I used to run a 24 Outlaw, it rattled my teeth being out there, but I was always able to make it back safely, and was never afraid
Old 01-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by jwws9999
I respectfully disagree, I boat the great lakes, and I don't care how big your boat is, when they start getting to 6 footers and above, nobody goes out, just not fun, and there's nobody else is out there anyways. As far as getting caught by the weather, I used to run a 24 Outlaw, it rattled my teeth being out there, but I was always able to make it back safely, and was never afraid
You know I am not sure what you disagree with? Like you said when it gets bad you don't go out, just not fun. The only thing I am saying is the point when you decide it is to bad will be different on a longer boat?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
BS - not in rough water.
The X dimension Fountain runs in rough water will blow out.
I owned a Checkmate 251 and could walk away from 27 Fountains in rough water.
Maybe I was just a much better driver.
Insanity can add a lot of speed in rough water.
I have a video of my Scarab racing a 40 Fountain that had more HP than me and HE couldn't keep the props in the water.
The video has been posted here before.
Have you ever watched any offshore racing? All the boats, have the props coming out of the water. I am not understanding the logic behind the "fountains cant' keep their props in the water so they lose" concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwjMgDl02k
Slandrew57 (02-23-2022)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I bet this guy was way behind the shallow X dimension boats with his props coming out every few seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0RPcePjL0
Old 01-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jwws9999
I have no idea why people are arguing about a subject that 95 percent of the people in this country aren't lucky enough to particiapte in. Anyways, hopefully the OP will have good luck finding a great boat.
Just so we are clear I was not arguing with anybody, I like ALL boats if your out there having a good time who gives a f%ck what brand of boat your on.
I just sometimes feel like replying to some of the uneducated and hateful/down grading replies, and its usually from the same couple of guys.

but trust me,none of this $hit is important enough to me to argue over.more important things in life than trying to
convince some one on what brand boat to buy.

Last edited by boatnt; 01-28-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DUH - because the DEEP V boat will tend to cut the top of the wave and keep the prop in contact with the water. The pad bottom tends to ride on top of the wave and bounce just like flat bottom boats do compared to a shallow v.
AND ONCE AGAIN -- I wasn't talking about 40 ft race boats. I was talking about 27 ft boats. BIG DIFFERENCE
There is a video that I posted years ago of my boat racing a 40 ft Fountain. My stern and props never left the water. The Fountain was in the air most of the time.
This boat would walk away from me in ANYTHING less than 3 footers.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It think the large singles like a 29 Fountain fill an important gap for someone like me. It was big enough to run most days on Lake Lanier but small enough to fit my dock and pull it with a full size SUV.......about 8000 lbs on an aluminum trailer. The combo of the single engine and high X dimension made it ridiculously easy to work in the bilge. Slow out of the hole but would run 75 any day which was enough for me at the time. I would bet a 28 Pantera rides better and a 30 Activator is faster with same power but only from riding next to those boats on the lake.
The other advantage is a 29 Fountain has a good name (relatively) so is much easier to sell. That 28 Pantera was for sale for a year and no takers, immaculate boat but with huge power. I sold the 29 without ever putting it on the market and got what I paid for it after 3 years of ownership.
Nothing personel 353 (02-18-2022)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '27 I have had on Lanier for 12 years. Lake Lanier is never too rough for a '27 much less a '29. It's not the great lakes though.
ar300johnson (07-30-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.