Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Which water pick ups should I buy? >

Which water pick ups should I buy?

Notices

Which water pick ups should I buy?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which water pick ups should I buy?

The set up- 35 Lighting single step, 500 EFIs, sea strainers, Bravo 1s with low water pick ups. So I have owned the boat for just over a year now and these ****** low water pick ups have caused 3 different problems. The crap that they pick up and send thru my cooling system has ticked me off to no end. So I was thinking about installing thru hull raw water pick ups during the off season and getting rid of the low water pick up lowers and maybe even going as far as installing extension boxes and shorties. I was wondering if there are any Fountain owners out there that have completed any of these type modifications and what headaches or successes that they have had.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the boat have sea strainers?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,472 Posts

Says so in the first sentence...........^^^^^^^^
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thru hull water pickups will cost you speed over the bravo low water pickup.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe try putting some house screen cut into the shape of the inside of the strainers to help keep finer debris out?
Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're never going to keep everything out of there. It's amazing what's floating around and getting sucked up. Without the strainers you'd probably never know. Even in the cleanest water you or somebody rubs the bottom your transom pickups will suck it up as well. If you weld up the lowers you get trapped water that can be bad for winter without removing lowers or drives. Wait till you see what the Imco's can suck up.

Last edited by class6; 10-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I went with imco adjustables. I have strainers also. They are a nice piece. I put block off plates on the inside of the transom assemblies. As far as boxes go I know some have used them on 35s but from a lot of reading they don't seem to help. No one has done boxes only without other mods I've found but speeds reported of various boats over the years the boxes seem lower than those without. I would avoid that for now or try that and nothing else and see what benefit you find. We already have a nice notch which gives our props cleaner water.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 455 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
The set up- 35 Lighting single step, 500 EFIs, sea strainers, Bravo 1s with low water pick ups. So I have owned the boat for just over a year now and these ****** low water pick ups have caused 3 different problems. The crap that they pick up and send thru my cooling system has ticked me off to no end. So I was thinking about installing thru hull raw water pick ups during the off season and getting rid of the low water pick up lowers and maybe even going as far as installing extension boxes and shorties. I was wondering if there are any Fountain owners out there that have completed any of these type modifications and what headaches or successes that they have had.
I'm curious what sea strainer you run. I just ordered one to stop the debris from getting in. I hope it's not the same one I ordered. LOL
Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardins
Old 10-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 455 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks

I just order a Hardin. Hopefully i got a different model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.