Used Fountain 38 EC advice >

Used Fountain 38 EC advice

Notices

Used Fountain 38 EC advice

Old 03-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used Fountain 38 EC advice

Hello - looking for a used 2004ish Fountain 38 EC. I have heard some good and bad in regard to build quality and water intrusion issues within stringers, etc. I just want to get some first had advice on the 38EC: are some years better than others, diesel vs the 496s, any problem areas to watch out for, longevity, build quality compared to Formula, etc, and the ride in rough seas especially the Great Lakes. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to share your info - I really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about any year better then others, i would look for a well maintain one. i have a 2008 406HO. It had new drives, and i ve gone through the engines and replaced manifolds, waterpumps, fuel filters, etc etc. Replaced campers, + some other bits a pieces. Boat is good for its age so i would say build quality is good.

In terms of performance, it is in a league of its own, for cruise speed. I running mine in NZ offshore, and often get into 1.5-3m(8-10ft) swell. The boat handles this fine, mostly. The issue when it is this big, is finding a slow enough plane. 22mph is about the slow as it will go. around 10mph displacement speed. I havent had experience with a diesel one, the 496 is fine for what i need.

Docking is easy, and it is very responsive and easy to drive. It would be nice to have electronic shifters, but it works fine.
I am considering about moving up to the 48ec, that how much i like the fountain,