Pre Lubers worth there money? >

Pre Lubers worth there money?

Notices

Pre Lubers worth there money?

Old 09-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Lubers worth there money?

Considering installing pre Lubers, yet debating if it’s another useless winter project.. They seem like a good idea but tough to tell if they make any real difference on bearing life. Many trucks still running with 300k miles and boats with 600 hours whom never used one of these pre Lubers. Any input would be appreciated
Old 09-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

Great question! I would think it is better, but not sure it is worth it! I would use them on hi end top dollars 50 or 100k engineS... but again, they refresh each 100 hours so... probably not worth but fun to have!
The following users liked this post:
PartyBarge22 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 107 Posts

Everyone I knew who had one used it all the time at first, as soon as the novelty wore off they forgot it was even there.
PartyBarge22 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm sure it can't hurt
I crank mine without the ignition until I get oil pressure
I used an accusump in a race car I had, was wet sump with a crappy pan (small block Chev stuffed in a Porsche 968)
It was good for priming on initial start up, (if I remembered to shut the valve under pressure before killing the ignition) and maintaining pressure on long high G corners
Don't know if it helped with the life of the engine, wrote the car off before the engine failed
Old 09-06-2020, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
Considering installing pre Lubers, yet debating if it’s another useless winter project.. They seem like a good idea but tough to tell if they make any real difference on bearing life. Many trucks still running with 300k miles and boats with 600 hours whom never used one of these pre Lubers. Any input would be appreciated
Trucks are usually driven everyday. 600 hour boat engines are likely to be cheap crate engines. When you have an engine that costs ~$50K each to replace in a performance boat, having a good pre-luber is very cheap insurance.

When our boats sit for storage, many over cold winters, or till next Saturday, oil will shed off surfaces. Start a dry engine without the oil passages primed and you get accelerated wear. Will pre-lubers prevent all wear? No they won’t. Cylinder wall lube is by splash lubrication, but main bearings, cam bearings, cam lobes, lifters, and rollers, rocker arm, and valve guide wear will be reduced because you start off with primed oil galleys.

Pay a little now to save $$ down the road. Easy to use first start of the day. After that if it’s a re-start don’t need to use it.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 59 Posts

Have used Canton Accu sump 3 qts and always had problems with the solenoids, have sent them back numerous times only to still have problems .
Old 09-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, seems almost as a cure looking for a disease. Good to see more activity on this site.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I run daytona ignitions with delayed starting so I get 3 full revolutions of crank before it fires. Though not exactly a pre luber it seems a happy medium.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
I run daytona ignitions with delayed starting so I get 3 full revolutions of crank before it fires. Though not exactly a pre luber it seems a happy medium.
Definitely not saying you are wrong especially on a subject as grey like this. But this is chicken or egg as well. If you turn the key there is friction no matter what, so other schools of thought say the faster the engine starts, the faster you build oil pressure.
SB (09-10-2020)