Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Third Child 29 Fountain >

Third Child 29 Fountain

Notices

Third Child 29 Fountain

Old 03-11-2023, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 82 Posts

Had a little time today and cleaned/polished the tails I got from endeavor1 on this forum.

Before:

After:
Old 03-11-2023, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 498 Likes on 227 Posts

Looks good what did you use to clean them?
Old 03-11-2023, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 277 Posts

Ok, thanks for the info on the Dawn soap. I went back and read the entire story on this boat, the purchase and everything. The first thing, post #1, where you bought the boat on th Lake is right by Captain Rons and a good friend of mine lives 2 houses to the left of that first picture. That cove is shallow when the water drops usually starting in October. The terrain there is pretty soft, so no big drop offs. Your speed in the first test runs was way off for a 28 pitch prop, with a 1.5 ratio and around 12% slip at 5000RPM, you should have been near the 74-75 mark. Looks like you found that with the labbed prop you tried later on.
While you have this thing apart, nice boat BTW, check your rigging up under the deck in the bilge, mine were heavy duty zip ties, I replaced them last week with Adel clamps. if those trim rings on the transom are the typical Fountain in house plastic, change them out before they leak and cause damage to the transom. You mentioned a second battery, looks like there is a pad on the starboard side to mount a battery holder and battery. You will have to figure out how to tie in an isolater and switch.
I did make progress on my bilge today using some dish soap, Zep, orange cleaner and some elbow grease. Advantage I had, was mine always looked clean, never had standing water for more than a day. My boat never leaked water except from a loose exhaust hose clamp for when it was pulled to replace a coupler years ago. Took me a couple months to find that issue. Good luck with your project! Onel last thing, dunking mine this week to check for any leaks, that is why the drives are mounted. If it stops raining long enough!

Last edited by Helmwurst; 03-11-2023 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Last comment
Old 03-11-2023, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
We have to pull most of it apart due to something in the transom leaking through, So we will be sealing that and the exhaust for sure. Im make sure we do this tabs as well and any other thing that is thru hull for sure. We plan to fill all of the not used holes in the bilge with some sort of silicone for sure.

This project went from "just a top end refresh" to well... while the engine is out, might as well...
They always do! Lol

When re rigging I run the screws in, pull back out and seal then run them in again.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
Looks good what did you use to clean them?
Used some amazing kleen and then Eagle One Never-Dull to "polish" them. They will probably now match the wear and tear on my existing gear in the boat. Will fit right in.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Ok, thanks for the info on the Dawn soap. I went back and read the entire story on this boat, the purchase and everything. The first thing, post #1, where you bought the boat on th Lake is right by Captain Rons and a good friend of mine lives 2 houses to the left of that first picture. That cove is shallow when the water drops usually starting in October. The terrain there is pretty soft, so no big drop offs. Your speed in the first test runs was way off for a 28 pitch prop, with a 1.5 ratio and around 12% slip at 5000RPM, you should have been near the 74-75 mark. Looks like you found that with the labbed prop you tried later on.
While you have this thing apart, nice boat BTW, check your rigging up under the deck in the bilge, mine were heavy duty zip ties, I replaced them last week with Adel clamps. if those trim rings on the transom are the typical Fountain in house plastic, change them out before they leak and cause damage to the transom. You mentioned a second battery, looks like there is a pad on the starboard side to mount a battery holder and battery. You will have to figure out how to tie in an isolater and switch.
I did make progress on my bilge today using some dish soap, Zep, orange cleaner and some elbow grease. Advantage I had, was mine always looked clean, never had standing water for more than a day. My boat never leaked water except from a loose exhaust hose clamp for when it was pulled to replace a coupler years ago. Took me a couple months to find that issue. Good luck with your project! Onel last thing, dunking mine this week to check for any leaks, that is why the drives are mounted. If it stops raining long enough!
That is a sexy bilge for sure. (never thought those words would come out of my mouth)

We stay in the house right above this dock every year for the shootout. And I park the boat at Captain Rons every year as well if you see it down there this year stop by and say hi. We plan to make the spring harbor hop an annual trip, looks like you are out that way if you ever want to run the lake with us, always looking for people to have some fun with on the water.

Can you elaborate on the plastic trim rings? Im not sure what you are referring to here.

The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

He is talking about the exhaust trim rings. If you are wet exhaust they make these, much better seal.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1259...haust-tip.aspx

If your dry or have the style that runs through the transom these trim rings with gaskets and 4200 are a much better way. The plastic ones are the reason a lot of fountains have rot in that area.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1370...od-x-5-id.aspx

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
That is a sexy bilge for sure. (never thought those words would come out of my mouth)

We stay in the house right above this dock every year for the shootout. And I park the boat at Captain Rons every year as well if you see it down there this year stop by and say hi. We plan to make the spring harbor hop an annual trip, looks like you are out that way if you ever want to run the lake with us, always looking for people to have some fun with on the water.

Can you elaborate on the plastic trim rings? Im not sure what you are referring to here.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
He is talking about the exhaust trim rings. If you are wet exhaust they make these, much better seal.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1259...haust-tip.aspx

If your dry or have the style that runs through the transom these trim rings with gaskets and 4200 are a much better way. The plastic ones are the reason a lot of fountains have rot in that area.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1370...od-x-5-id.aspx

I Gotcha, Yep these are getting replaced as well. I am going with 4 inch stright cut tips with the saulsburry flappers. I like the looks of the angle tips over the straight, but talking with a friend of mine that is doing most of the more difficult work, he suggested it was just another line of defense to prevent reversion over going angle tips. I am going for a turn key boat that works week in and week out so that made sense to me.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 277 Posts

Wildman hit it right on the nose! Fountains were notorious for having small leaks around the plastic trim rings. I have not seen a picture of your boat with the shotgun tips removed if you have done that yet. You might want to confer with someone about your exhaust, layout, but you may need a straight cut tip with the rubber flappers. Look at your water line in Pic #47, if you come off plane fast, you don't want your wake running up your exhaust and hydro locking your motor. Your exhaust has a lot of rise and fall so you may be safe, but I would ask around.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Wildman hit it right on the nose! Fountains were notorious for having small leaks around the plastic trim rings. I have not seen a picture of your boat with the shotgun tips removed if you have done that yet. You might want to confer with someone about your exhaust, layout, but you may need a straight cut tip with the rubber flappers. Look at your water line in Pic #47, if you come off plane fast, you don't want your wake running up your exhaust and hydro locking your motor. Your exhaust has a lot of rise and fall so you may be safe, but I would ask around.
I didnt explain it well enough earlier. We are going with the straight cuts with rubber flappers AND saulsberry flappers for double reversion protection VS going angle cut with only the rubber flappers.
The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (03-13-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.