Battery setup >

Battery setup

Notices

Battery setup

Old 10-19-2023, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery setup

I have a 1997 47 Fountain SC with triple 502’s and triple batteries with 3 bank charger. I replaced the charger and all 3 batteries with blue optima gel batteries. There is a constant drain on one of the batteries which I think is related to the bilge pumps and cabin carbon monoxide detector even when all Perko switches are in the off position.
I would like to install a separate switch to stop the drain while on the trailer in storage to improve battery life. Has anyone done this and what are your experiences?
thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Most likely it's one of the alternators

So far as disconnecting Bats, do you have 3 Bat switches?
Also which one of the Bats is going low?
Old 10-21-2023, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 Perko switches under the rear seat and a third on the firewall in the bulge (but I think that one is just for the generator). The batteries seem to be set up in a parallel circuit but it is the middle one that always gets drained.
thanks
Old 10-21-2023, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

The middle one connects to what, and does that switch get turned off?
Old 10-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

I think you should find the source of the drain rather than try to install a stop gap cut off to the battery. You want the bilge pumps working at all times, that is why they are hardwired into the battery. The bilge pump should only activate if the float switch detects water in the bilge sufficient enough to power on. A drain would mean the pump is either constantly running and you would hear it or it is a short somewhere.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to see if you have a house disconnect somewhere in the engine compartment.
Even if the Batt switches are off, the house circuit will still be powered by one battery. No doubt you have a kickin’ stereo set up. With everything disconnected check the power line for voltage at the amps. You may have to remove panels in the cabin to get access. You may find that it is still powered; meaning that there should be another disconnect to that circuit. Fountain runs this to also have the CO detector powered up hot at all times. So yes, you are on the right track.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are looking for this or similar. Maybe looks like it has a push button in addition to the lever disconnect. Turning this off will eliminate all of the parasitic drain problems you are having.