Fever 32 Education >

Fever 32 Education

Notices

Fever 32 Education

Old 01-22-2024, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
1995 was first year of the step. Mine was a 95 but had no step oddly enough. They also came with 454MPI's. The 502MPI's are very reliable and can actually be built to make a good amount of power pretty darn cheap using damn near all of the same parts. I followed some threads I found here when one of my OEM risers decided to leak and took down one of my engines. It made a world of difference performance wise and I did not need blue motors to exceed what those boats do out of the box with them already.

Most I've seen have it from the factory, but make sure you get one that has the hydraulic add on steering at least and even better if someone has converted to full hydraulic like I did. Best thing I did for that boat actually.

As Wildman said I too learned about soggy wood. Mine had poor sealing around the cabin drain tubes that protrude into the bilge through the forward bulkhead. The boats sit nose down on the trailer when level so any water that was in the bilge IF not drained out fully will collect there and behind the bulkhead under the tank and cockpit floor if it's a fair amount. I cannot speak to how step hulls or any that are not on Myco trailers as mine had sit on their respective trailers however they may not have this issue or are designed differently. In my case, the previous "open checkbook" owner let water sit there and it was wicked up and into the center stringer, two others and bulkhead. I would look for one that has had structural repairs that way that's one less thing you need to worry about haha.

All great advice, thank you for the education. Are you saying some of these were built without hydraulic steering? That's surprising.

Where there options in different drives? If so, which models are desirable and any to say away from?

Sounds like you proactively, or perhaps reactively due to the previous owners lack of attention to detail were able to correct/adjust aspects of your boats design as it came from the factory to a less likely set up for damage -might there be any "checklist" of good practice things to do like what you've already done?
Old 01-22-2024, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes some were built without hydraulic steering and simply the basic cable steering helm, cables, valve and a tie bar on the outside between the drives. I should also clarify the ones that did come with "hydraulic" systems are not a "full" hydraulic system but "add on" hydraulics tied into the OEM cable/ valve system. In my opinion this setup is meh for a performance boat, overcomplicated and most likely cost more than a full hydro setup to the helm would have been out of the gate. The conversion was so simple it is pathetic. Rant over lol.

I have only seen 32's with bravo 1's in a couple of ratios1.5 being the most common. Unless someone switched to XR's, or something else at some point but I don't think they ever came that way. I never had issues with mine...lucky on that one I guess.

A good "checklist" per say would be that anything that has NOT been replaced at some point WILL need replaced at some point. I'm sure many here can attest to that! Don't trust that a seller with service records has taken his boat to a marina that actually knows what they are doing either. Many horror stories I have read about that also and not owners' faults. Someone that does their own work, is passionate about the sport knows the boat inside and out would be the ideal seller you will know that boat when you see it. I see some here that have had zero similar failures as me but a completely different set of failures, they tell me that's boating haha.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Just throwing this out here, if an '06 35 Lightning twin step with fresh 525 EFI's and new XR's is of interest, mine is seriously for sale. This boat will smoke any 32, any day. No offense to a 32 Fountain, they just are not a twin step Lightning.