Windshield removal/Race Fairing installation >

Windshield removal/Race Fairing installation

Notices

Windshield removal/Race Fairing installation

Old 01-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield removal/Race Fairing installation

I've got an older 10 Meter, and I'm in the process of removing the windshield to install a race fairing. I'm guessing that most mid-1980's glass windshields were attached the same. Anyone have experience?

I'm having difficulty locating the screws or studs that attach the lower front edge of the windshield to the front deck. I'd rather not go "exploring" needlessly into the headliner below without first knowing what I'm looking for.

If you've been there and done that, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-24-2003, 09:06 PM
B.R.S.

I built a race faring for my 1988 8.8 meter. The windsheild was the aluminum frame type and held on with brass toilet bolts (no lie when I put it back on I got all new bolts from Home Depot). Peel back the head liner and the bolts are recessed in holes drilled in the bottom of the deck about one inch in diameter and filled in with caulk. Dig out the caulk and take off the nuts. My frame is 4 pieces but you have to take the whole thing off at once you can't take off one section at a time.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, B.R.S.

I found the toilet bolts, just as you mentioned. I found that if I shimed up the bottom with wood blocks, I was able to remove each of the 4 sections individually. Tricky, but got it done.

Curious about what you built your race fairing out of? I've got everything cleaned up, so now it's time to start construction. Did you build a second dash panel under the top lip? Any wind venturis? Any experiences would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:57 AM
B.R.S.

p4-33 I sed the old frame and aluminum panels. It worked really well. I'll send you my number feel free to give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield removal/Race Fairing installation-dash1.jpg