35 fountain question? >

35 fountain question?

Notices

35 fountain question?

Old 04-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 35 fountain question?

My buddy just bought a new 2002 35 Fountain Twin Step Lightning with 575's, XR's with 1.50 gears and 34 props from a Fountain dealer

Trying to get this boat on plane is an exact science, the engines must be brought up to a certain rpm and then at the right moment returned to a lessor rpm and wait patiently while the boat gets going on plane. If at any time you miss any of the above procedures the props will just spin out and you have to start over.

Believe me, you will never race anyone out of the hole in this boat

Has anybody else experienced this? and what did you do to fix this problem?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Water

??? Interesting, I would say its one of two problems

1. The boat is set up to Fly top end with a higher than normal X dim, 35 w/ 575s looking at maybe 95 mph, possibly more??

2. Your buddy just needs to practice, if the drives are all the way in it should not be blowing out, is he keeping the drives in until it is all the way up on plane?? Is he using the K-planes? How much power is he giving it, Maybe too much??

I imagine that with a little practice he will get it perfectly.

Also I think Gator1 or Gatorone in SC has the same set up maybe he will chime in

WILL
Old 04-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Registered

I'd bet its in the props
Old 04-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Registered

I spoke with him this morning, he told me the drives are all the way in and the tabs are down. After filling up his boat yesterday the blowout was even more pronounced. As I watched him drive away from the gas dock I noticed that when blowout was occuring he was throwing a huge rooster tail. He says his X-dimension is 18 inches.

I honestly believe that it is in the props, I have spoken to Merc reps and they tell me that those props have issues. I wonder if some 5 blades would help
Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hot water,

E-mail me and i will help him out. My X is at 21 7/8. You have to remember that when you get on plane the way the dealer showed your buddy you are just killing the drives. The problem only gets worse with a full load. When we took the first ride in myboat it took over thirty minutes to get on plane, needeless to say I got Wyatt on the phone within 10 minutes of returning to the docks and the next morning I had a set of 5 blades atmy door
Old 04-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Registered

Gatorone

Check your PM
Old 04-11-2003, 12:41 PM

Hot Water,

Ask him to check the performance report. It will tell what props the boat were tested with at the factory. 34" sounds like a bit much. Performance report will also tell what speeds at what RPMs and what drive and tab settings. Sounds like an awesome ride.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Smile

I have been sending all of these replies to my buddy. He is grateful to all of you for the responses. He did speak to Gatorone and got some good info from him.

He has taken the boat back to the dealer for a week of testing different props. I will update everyone as to the outcome

Thanks again

Old 04-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Registered

A labbed 32 four blade has fixed the hole shot problem, he has lost a little on the top end but he is extremely happy with the way the boat takes off.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Well after several props, the cure to this boats ailment was to take the original Merc 34 props and have them redone by Merc. Merc acknowleged that those props "have issues" and can rework them for a small price, "HUH???"

The props have been reworked and with just a little finesse the boat planes easily and has regained its original top end

Last edited by hot water; 09-11-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 35 fountain question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.