27 Fever Fuel Pick-Up

Notices

27 Fever Fuel Pick-Up

Old 05-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 27 Fever Fuel Pick-Up

OK,

For those of you that read my previous thread I figured out its the fuel pick-up thats seeping fuel when the tank is full and causing the fuel smell. I need to remove, replace, and reseal this part. It looks like there is a threaded bung welded into the tank. Into this bung is screwed a 90 deg fitting. Into the 90 deg fitting the check valve hose barb fitting is screwed. And finally onto that fitting is the 5/8" hose. I cant tell exactally where the leak is coming from so I guess I should redo everything. I guess there is some type of pick-up tube that is attached to the 90 deg fitting.

My question is can I just remove the hose and unscrew the 90 deg fitting from the tank? Or is there something Im missing? Also is there any way to check to see if the leak is comming from the weld around the bung? What kind of sealant should I use on the threaded fittings?

Somebody around here must have pulled this down on a newer Fountain. Mines a '99.

Ron
Old 05-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rjcardinal, take the hose off unscrew the 90 deg fitting then take the pick up tube out of the tank. look up in the tube and see if there is any thing in there . If it does not belong take it out. fountain most of the time has nothing in these tubes. I had mine out last week end and put teflon tape back on the threads. make sure you put the tape on the right way. know after it is back toether, spray all around the hose and the fittings with foot powder, this will turn white, if there is a leak the powder will turn brown and you will see right where the leak is. good luck
Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rjc,

I don't think there's a check valve in your system. I was told to remove any restrictions or check valves for the Whipple system. If there was a check valve, all it can prevent is fuel siphoning back into the tank. The hose on that barb is a bastard to remove. You may want to cut it - there's enough hose looped so 1 1/2" less isn't a problem. Use Loctite PST on the fittings. Teflon tape is obsolete.

Mark