Prop direction >

Prop direction

Notices

Prop direction

Old 07-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, yep heading down in a few minutes. Had to make one last check of the board. Make sure nothing major happening that requires my immediate attention.

We got a band reserved for Sat nite, 7:30pm on. Going to play on top of the houseboat in the cove.
See ya there.
Jerry
Old 07-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Airwolf767

Are you leaving your props turning outwards?

Old 07-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Curt

Default Re: Spin em "IN"

Originally posted by Airwolf767
I would spin them in. I think by spinning the props inward you will get more top end as the centerline thrust is more in tune with the center of the boat ie providing the (more) stern lift needed to pack the air in the step. The downward prop ear gets more propulsion than the ascending prop ear (asymetrical thrust/ P-factor). When backing in think of the props as thrusters position them, then use them accordingly. When you get used to it you can make it back up on a dime,,,,,I'll help you practice if I can drink all of your beer...Ha Ha

See ya at the lake this weekend?? We'll be there sat/sun

Mike
Mike how does this work with non stepped hulls in your experience?

Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally posted by Curt
Thanks Jerry. What motors are you running?
502 MPI's
Old 09-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Curt

Now that the summer is over, has anyone else tried spinning props in on a non step 32 that can share their results here?

Old 09-25-2003, 08:41 PM
cwilson

Have done a lot of testing at the factory with Reggie and Mark Wilson.
Fountain stepped hulls, like to turn in! on a 42 we lost 6 Mph turning out! Now on the otherhand the 42 with Yanmar diesels, arneson surface drives, turns out.
This is because the step already causes "ass" lift, and need to prevent even more, so u turn in. The diesel is so heavy in rear turns out giving a little ass lift and making it smooth!!
Around docks out is better, so if you dont mind scrubbing speed, but want to pull upto the dock on the first attempt and stop yelling about the wind....

Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 PM
cwilson

None stepped hulls will like spinning out but you will probably have to try some different props to get full results.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to try my 29 turning out just to check the handling. I am running 71mph with twin stock 6.2's at 5300 rpm and 26" B1's. I assume when you change props side to side you must then run the boat in reverse to go forward and vice versa. Aside from the obvious proplem of lever position, what will this do to the drives...seems to me they want to be run at speed and load on the thrust side of the gears, etc. Any ideas??

G-
Old 10-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Bravo drives are the same. There are no Left and Right drives. Only difference is the shifter cables get flipped at your shifter levers, nothing else.
Mine came spinning in and docking sucked! Changed them to spinning out and a whole different boat. Recently changed them back to spinning in to see if it was just a case of lack of experience beings how this is my 1st twin engine boat. And once again, docking SUCKS. Backing up is a joke. I'm going back to spinning out, even if would be at a cost of 20 mph!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see if I have this right. I am currently spinning in...to spin out I need to swap the props and flip the cables at the shift levers on the dash for proper lever action. Any idea how to switch the cables??
Also, what model are you running? I too am running a twin for the first time and the handling leaves a bit to be disired but, unlike yourself, I will leave them spinning in to gain a tenth of a mile per hour! I'll just be careful around the dock. Thanks.

Gary

Quick Reply: Prop direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.