32' Fever report

Notices

32' Fever report

Old 05-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 32' Fever report

Finally made it on the water this weekend with the new boat. Was a nice change going to the 32' from the 27'.
Speedo worked 1st day, but not the second. Now, how did both drives get plugged while on a lift? Will investigate this weekend. Something minor.

Water pressure on both motors OVER 35# at WOT. Screwed with this pressure stuff for 3 yrs on last boat. Not again!!!!!!!! Didn't check oil for water. Don't think I want too. What is it with Mercury on this issue, do they have no idea??

Water leaks past the rubrail like crazy! Pumps kicked on every 2 minutes. You would think that since Fountain goes to the trouble of FGing the deck to hull joint along both sides where it accessible, they could at least put sealer on the joint along the swim platform. At least on the 32's where the rubrail at the platform is underwater.

All in all, life was good!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Kewl- give numbers when you get them- 32s are FAST
Old 05-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Curt

Regarding the rubrail leakage, I had the same problem. The swim platform is laying right at the water line on most 32's. I was only able to solve my problem when I repowered by purchasing Tyler Crockett 600's to replace the merc engines. Crockett uses aluminum heads and intakes and of course the headers are a lot lighter than the cast iron manifolds. All in all I think I saved about 300 lbs or so right off the transom. The rub rail now sits about 4 inches above the waterline greatly helping the water issue. And of course I picked up about 15 mph at the same time!

Old 05-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Twinn, no idea what she runs, but it sounds awlsome! Has the real deep tone to it, not the loud like my 27 had.

Curt, yep. My 27'r leak there also, and it was around 6" above water also. Got water past the rubrail when launching. Water in boat......bad. Removed the rubrail and sealed with 5200. All was good then. Going to do same thing on this one this weekend. New motors, huh? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just use sealer?

Mike, I hear yeah. Unfortunately twins doubles the cost for new exhaust, but then a repair bill will be doubled too. No win situation.
Wonder if all the cast iron exhaust are prone to this condition? 350,454,& 502's. Aren't all those ex. systems basically same design? So whats the scoop, you still have the 29, or have 2 boats now with the new avitar?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-27-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 32' Fever report

Originally posted by US1 Fountain

Water pressure on both motors OVER 35# at WOT. Screwed with this pressure stuff for 3 yrs on last boat. Not again!!!!!!!! Didn't check oil for water. Don't think I want too. What is it with Mercury on this issue, do they have no idea??

Water leaks past the rubrail like crazy!
I feel for you! Been there done that! Which engines do you have? I would guess there 454's or 502's with the newer style thermostat housing. I think that may be the cork in the system that causes the high pressures. Keep an eye on your circulating pumps for water weeping out the weep holes. Also the increased pressure can cause water to be forced into the Seawater housing. I found more water and fuel in mine than gear lube.

When I launch at steep ramps I get some water leaking in. I'm going to try the 5200 under the rub rail. You think they could do that at the factory.

Dan
Old 06-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Default Re: 32' Fever report

Water leaks past the rubrail like crazy! Pumps kicked on every 2 minutes. You would think that since Fountain goes to the trouble of FGing the deck to hull joint along both sides where it accessible, they could at least put sealer on the joint along the swim platform. At least on the 32's where the rubrail at the platform is underwater.

All in all, life was good!

Removed the rubrail along swim platform, scraped out the sparcely factory installed sealer and filled it up with 5200. Not a drop this weekend. Thats 1 thing crossed off my repair list, several more to go now.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Default Re: Re: 32' Fever report

Originally posted by candyman35
Which engines do you have? I would guess there 454's or 502's with the newer style thermostat housing. I think that may be the cork in the system that causes the high pressures.
Dan
502 MPI's. Going to have to scratch my head on this one for a bit. My plan when I bought this boat was to never have to turn a wrench on it. So far, that's ALL I've done. Sure can tell the quality is not the same as what my '94 was in many places.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Registered

I had heard about the reversion problems when I first got my 32. Talked to Dick Simon Marine, and was told that it is a huge problem. Not 'IF' it will happen but 'WHEN' it does. I was told that it is necessary to upgrade the exhaust elbow joints to reduce the possibility of reversion. Expensive, but cheaper than the alternative.
Also be sure to regularly charge the grease fittings on the drive coupler. Other than these kind of things, I have been extremely satisfied with my 32. Outstanding performance - even in some relatively serious Pacific bluewater conditions, I have pushed the Gaffrig gauges to over 80 < no GPS >. Water pressure runs a little high, but not dangerously so - yet.
Note: Be careful when benchmarking your drive trim and tabs at WOT. I discovered an almost-unrecoverable chine-walking speed wobble with tabs and drives maxed to the up-stops. And it sneaks up QUICK. Just a heads-up if you're doing it yourself, with one hand on the tabs and trim and the other on the helm.
Good luck - with any luck at all, you will love it.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally posted by rouxsterre
I was told that it is necessary to upgrade the exhaust elbow joints to reduce the possibility of reversion.

Water pressure runs a little high, but not dangerously so - yet.
What type of joint upgrade are you talking about, New exhaust?
How much pressure are you seeing? I'm guessing mine is pushing 45-50#. At cruise, I'm showing 25#
Old 06-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Registered

What type of joint upgrade are you talking about, New exhaust?
How much pressure are you seeing? I'm guessing mine is pushing 45-50#. At cruise, I'm showing 25#
Don't let it go. Take a look at the large hose off the circulating pumps. Mine looked like a balloon. I ended up spending the money to get Gary Grimes water dumps. It was over kill but I was sick of chasing the problem with no results. Merc's response was if its' not overheating and there’s no water in the oil don't worry about it.: mad: Fountain didn't lend a hand either. Wett Vette has a valve like you had before that seems to be doing the trick. I think Seadated had high water pressure problems with his 502 also. I run 24 lbs. WOT and cooler oil temps.

Dan

Last edited by candyman35; 06-05-2003 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 32' Fever report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.