Fountain 42 >

Fountain 42

Notices

Fountain 42

Old 09-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fountain 42

There are 2 42 fountains priced right in Mich. One a 93 w/ trips for about 80k, the other a 91 w/ trips about the same. My question is how do these boats drive w. trips, are they that much more $ to maintain. How do they handle for docking, do they sit to low in the water cause extra weight? Any experience is greatly appreciated.

I can't find a nice top gun at these prices, they are all rats. The 93 is really clean from the photos.

Wannabe
Old 09-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

the 42 triple engine boat has been around for many years they are alittle tail heavy but not to the point of causing any trouble they run great on the non step bottom boat you get alot of bang for the buck with mild power triple 365's mid 70's triple 525 mid 80's maintence is 1/2 again as much as a twin engine boat triples are alittle easier on drives. you lose 15-18inches in the cockpit with triples and or staggerd's the older 42's are alot of boat for the money and IMHO will run through and give ebery bit the ride as a top gun.
later
Old 09-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Later.

Thanks for the reply. How are the quality of these early 90's boats?

Any issues to be concerned about, of course if I go to buy I will get a thourough survey/inspection.

The 93 has 525's and they say 85 mph.

The 91 has 550's (repowereed) and claims 90.

How much do they weigh?

Wannabe
Old 09-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned a 1990 42 and a 1998 42 i can tell you my observations. i think that the upholstry is more durable in the 90 that the 98 vinyal seems to be a little thicker and stiching a little better in the 90's but you usally have a cloth cabin in the early boats, the vinyal is plusher in the later years im the type that is easy on upholstry so its not a problem with me i like the plush feel. i personally think that the early 90's boats are a better built boat the the later years, and it shows in the bilge area and fit and finish. Im not saying that my 98 is of poor quality im just saying i think they did a better job on the early boats. most non step 42's i seen with 525's merc's will run right around 85 i have seen some that on good days and all the stars in alignment do 88-ish. with a honest 550hp per motor triple i would think 90 is reachable. triple big step 42s with 500hp run in the low 90's. a twin engine 42 weights rgt at 9000lbs little less for side-by-sides a little more for staggered so add about 1200 or so pounds for motor and a few hundred for additional fuel tanks etc and i think the brouchers say 10,500lbs. the dash is the same from year to year the cockpit lay out is the same the later boats are a little plusher in the cabin. you dont see many stress cracks in the gelcoat on fountains but just about everone i have ever seen that has any use at all has a small gel coat crack on the left frt floor radius were the left cabin door is on the floor. i like the looks of the rub rails on the later boats they went to a two piece rail that has a insert. oh ya on the early boats they used s/w gauges and IMHO they suck. triple engine 42 dont sell as fast as a twin because of th extra motor and maintence but they are a great boat and for the right deal wouldnt shy away from one. good luck.

later