Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
HP525 Whipple Charged >

HP525 Whipple Charged

Notices

HP525 Whipple Charged

Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 PM
FastFountain35

procharge that thing,you only live once. steve got your pm. billy and i didnt go . he had to go to a horse show with the wife

Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
502KC

Default 29 Fever Whippled 500efi

My 2000 29 Fever, is Whippled on a stock 500efi. 100 hours on the whipple with no major issues (had 70 hours when whipple installed). Bit the bullet when the whipple went on, and went Imco Xtreme upper and XR internals on the lower. The drive is still alive as well. I am definitely not easy on it, but I do ease it out of the hole, and naturally pull back on the stick when she's aired out. If I have one gripe it is that I only picked up 10-11 mph. I know the drive took a little HP away, but probably need to do some prop dialing, labbing etc. Have dealt with Dustin Whipple on some issues, and he is easy to work with, and offers good advice. Overall, I am happy with the outcome.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input 502KC!!

Finally info from someone who has done it.

Does Dustin Whipple tell you how much more HP you got out of your 500 EFI? Did you need other stuff (Fuel line enhancements, injectors, EFI modules)? Was it clear what you needed, do they provide written info? I have heard stories of guys buying some of, but not all of what they need and then having the motor blow...

I have a buddy running a Baja with a spec'd 830 HP Blower Sop Motor using a stock Brave I Performance. Three years of easy starts and not throttling up through turns and all is well.

Last edited by nolimits; 02-04-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 AM
502KC

Default Your welcome...

I was tossing around the idea of doing it myself, but ended up having a shop do it. I had alot of custom rigging done, like adding a strainer, larger fuel filter, all braided fuel and cooling hoses.

But, yes everything you need to do the job is provided. You have to send your computer to Whipple so they can reprogram it. Dustin emailed me the install instructions when I was contemplating the system. Shoot him an email, and maybe he can do the same.

As far as HP, the 500efi kit advertised 730. Never dyno'd so I really don't know???

Old 02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, here we go. No, not me but a boat that runs in my local circle.

39 Velocity with twin HP525's.

My Fountain/Velocity/Spectre/Nordic dealer is certified Mercury Racing so this will be interesting how this works, for you guys on the fence, including me..

They took this stock HP525/XR drive application, bolted shortys on the outdrives & got 87 mph.

Now the owner just ordered a pair of Whipple Chargers for the HP525s. Man they look killer. They are bolting them on this weekend & I will report back on the stats, the increase in speed, fuel, install time, etc.

They are hoping for trips on the GPS.

Last edited by Mark D; 02-27-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just got the Vortech for my 500EFI. At first it looked like there was a million pieces but everything was in clearly labeld bags. I put the sub systmes together and it wasn't hard at all. I don't expect any real problems with the install.

The only thing the manual says that I can't do at home is cap upper water inlet on the header.

I just need to get the boat out of storage and start to work.

The installation manual is available on their web site. They have been very good on support so far.

I am going to do the head gaskets and valve spings when I get going.

I'll try and post pictures when I get started.

F
Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

FC-
Post the pics, that would be great.
I am sure you will have no problem because you are a true craftsman anyway.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FC,

Refresh me here...the Vortec unit is the most compact of the popular superchargers, yes? Also, are you going to pull the engine for the install? I know everyone will be VERY interested in seeing the progress and finished product as PP says, you are a true craftsman! Good luck and what type of increases do you think you will net...the Vortec is a 5.0psi unit?

Gary
Old 02-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

Originally posted by PurePower
Well guys, here we go. No, not me but a boat that runs in my local circle.

39 Velocity with twin HP525's.

My Fountain/Velocity/Spectre/Nordic dealer is certified Mercury Racing so this will be interesting how this works, for you guys on the fence, including me..

They took this stock HP525/XR drive application, bolted shortys on the outdrives & got 87 mph.

Now the owner just ordered a pair of Whipple Chargers for the HP525s. Man they look killer. They are bolting them on this weekend & I will report back on the stats, the increase in speed, fuel, install time, etc.

They are hoping for trips on the GPS.
How fast was was it running before the shorties were bolted on?
Old 02-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

SL,
I'll find that detail out & get back to you.

Quick Reply: HP525 Whipple Charged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.