Plastic bolster seat shells

Notices

Plastic bolster seat shells

Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Plastic bolster seat shells

While at a local dealership this weekend, they were replacing the complete cockpit interior skins of a less than 1 yr old boat 38' Fever. The vinyl had yellowed bad. Customers cleaner or material, don't know other than being replaced under warranty according to service dude.

ANYWAYS, the frame work/shell of the bolsters and the part that wraps around the bolsters that has the cupholder for the rear seated passengers were plastic. Both thin and surprisingly flimsy. Had no strenght at all.
On one hand, it eliminated the handbuilt wood shell, rot free, cheaper to produce no doubt once the molds were made. I 'think' I also seen the backing for the side panels laying there, also plastic.
Has anyone else noticed this or have a new boat that has the new plastic shells? Curious as to how strong they are once assembled.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jerry,

Yes, my '99 has the plastic shells. I put embroidered seatbacks on mine last summer. What a pain to take the bolsters apart! I can say this, the plastic is pretty rugged. It holds staples ok too. I saw a label on the plastic indicating the manufacturer-Fountain has them made outside. I'd say the tooling for these parts has got to be pretty pricey. No doubt Fountain will amortize the tooling costs over the next 25 years with their boxy outdated (IMO) bolsters. The McCleod bolsters on Formulas or the Cig units are better looking.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,
25 yrs of the same look? Oh NoOOooooooo! So they are strong once assembled. I felt just the shell while it was on the work bench and it flexed a quite abit. Never had or heard of a problem with them myself, so wonder why they went to the expense of having molds made? Guess the time to build the wood frame vs just grabbing one off the shelf and start installing the covering will be a savings in itself once the initial cost is covered.

I have a buddy that has the McCloeds in his Baja 322, and another in his Formula 38. They are nice looking and comfy, but both of them have the covering coming apart at the seems. The Formula is only a couple yrs old to boot! These aren't the only ones I've heard of coming apart.
Maybe my wooden boxy bolsters aren't so bad after all.