Vortech Installation

Notices

Vortech Installation

Old 07-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Vortech Installation

Hi Fountainclimber:

You're a wild and crazy guy; "first you get a supercharger, then you drop it in". Don't I wish it was that easy. I just finished two installations. I think now I could do one in a day, if I had all the parts at hand and the engine was out of the boat!

What size upper pulley are you using and what boost are you getting? Give me a call I'd like to hear all the details. Our first supercooler for the black 502EFI engine is going on the dyno this week. We are trying the same pulley that I think you have and a smaller one too.

Tom Robinson
(416) 709-8714
Attached Thumbnails Vortech Installation-complete-top-iso-black.jpg  
Old 07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomcat,

I just finnished reading your install and the pix of the injectors threw me off. My 50 pounders that I got from AZ Speed looked just lilke the ones that came out of the 500EFI only not painted.

Speaking of that, Vortech says 48-49 lbs of pressure. I had it set at 48 and ran great but just to be on the safe side, I went to 49 and got some soot on the transom. About the same amount I used to get when it was stock. I think I will leave it like that unless I have idleing problems. What do you use for pressure?

Everything on the Vorctech is stock but I made some things fit "better". I can check the pulley sizes next time I get in it but I am off to San Jose this week. I put a boost gage on it just to see what was happening. Turns out it is pretty useless as the only thing that makes any difference is throttle position. I also put in a fuel pressure gage and while it doesn't match the callibration gage, it shows when the engine is under boost better than the boost gage as fuel pressue goes up faster than the boost needle.

I have never seen the boost gage go over 3.5 lbs but that's the last thing I am looking at.

I'll give you a call tomorrow if I get the chance.

F
Old 07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered

I thought those injectors might be different because the instructions for the fuel rail spacers seemed to be for something that fit differently. As it turned out we had to machine their fuel rail spacer for the injectors to look like they were sitting in place properly. They passed the fuel leak test so it's all good.

Thanks for the call today. You need a passenger whose job is to look at the boost gauge. Plumb it temporarily with extra line so they can hold it in their hand. When you are propped right and don't hit the rev limiter you should see 5 psi. If you propped for a maximum of say 5000 RPM you won't see this much boost unless you also went to a smaller pulley. I have never done that but I may experiment later.

Vortech says that kit is good for 700 HP which should be 15 mph when you're done. I'm hoping for more with the supercooler but I won't know until later this week.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just got my 28 Maximus in the UPS today. It is huge! 15-5/8ths diameter but the main hub is at least 1" longer. If you didn't mount your drive shower near the end of the cavatation plate, you'd be in trouble.

Can't wait to try it out this weekend. Will post results

F
Old 07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

Wally,

UPS F'd up! That was supposed to be delivered to me!

Lynda & I ran 85mph across Fox Lake last Sun am going to the Thunder Run. It's still on my gps. I may have some oil pressure woes though. I'll be checking it with a mech guage this weekend. Let me know how fast you're running. I may need my 9 psi boost pulley.

Mark
Old 08-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Mark!,

I just got back from a week at LOTO. No I didn't take my 14 year old son to Party Cove but I did drive past once or twice.

The 28" Maximus is just about the perfect prop but I did have some problems:

It went 32@2500, 45@3000, 55@3500, 60@3800 and 81@5000. I didn't pick up any top speed over the 30"B1's 81@5400 (on the limiter). I think labbbing it would get me closer to 83 and 5300. No more 25% prop slip.

The problem was that the Bravo XZ went poof. I had 265 hours under the normal 500EFI. I put on about 35 hours with the Vortech and then about 5 hours with the Maximus until 4 teeth on the forward gear went on strike.

I have been using Red Line and I can say it definitely shifted smoother.

I found a guy down there who completely disassembled the drive and replaced the gear set while I waited. OK it took 6 hours but it was still the same day I dropped it off. If you ever have problems down there call:

Gene Eggl at Lightning Performance (573) 374-7974 . It looks like he can do just about anything but primarily builds alcohol drag boat motors. The only problem is that he is over near Laurie by Garvois Mills.

So what made it go away? I always thought the backlash was kind of coarse but I never checked it with any kind of tool. The wear pattern is not on the middle of the teeth either. Was it just always ready to go? How is the Teague holding up? Do I have to get one of those too?

I went to the APBA races in Milwaukee today by car because the Weather Channel said storm up there. It was actually nice but the water was very rough. Danny J was there I think. Pier 57 broke so the only bright spot for us Fountain supporters was Fountain of Youth, the Konrad Drive boat. It seemed like everyone got a checkerd flag because there was only one boat in most classes.

See you on the Chain or Lake Michigan next weekend.

F
Attached Thumbnails Vortech Installation-milwaukee.jpg  
Old 08-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Registered

Wally,

We were at the races Sat. and went out on the Chain Sun. It was so busy that we just anchored and hung out till around 4. After hearing your woes with the XZ, I'm glad I went with the Teague XR. No problems after 100 or so hours. Tom Temple with the new 35' Formula has got 32" Maximus props and he loves them. He does say that there's a 300 rpm difference port to stbd at wot though. 3 weeks till LOTO for us!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Registered

Fountainclimber: What boost are you seeing at 5000 with the Maximus? I am talking with a guy who has the same engine and blower in a 28 Nordic Heat making similar speeds. He has an XR drive now.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tomcat,

I hate to admit it but I am too busy hanging on to notice the boost. I will make an effort to look. I think I would recommmend at least an XR. We'll be out on the water this weekend and hope to have more info.

F
Old 08-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Registered

Fountainclimber: I am sure you have the 3.87 pulley in your kit. That's what we have on the 35 Fountain and we saw a maximum of 4 psi @ 4900 RPM today. This is only good for about 625 HP. You just have to calculate the density ratio and multiply by 500 HP. An extra 125 HP makes sense compared to the 9 mph gain we have made so far (85 to 94 mph).

The scanner read 30 degrees total timing, no knock sensor activity and very low intake air temperatures. I think that gives us leeway to bring the boost up to 6+ psi, so I ordered the next size smaller pulleys today. We hope this will get us over 100 mph.

Quick Reply: Vortech Installation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.