Wife dig's Fridge, I have Power Concern >

Wife dig's Fridge, I have Power Concern

Notices

Wife dig's Fridge, I have Power Concern

Old 03-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wife dig's Fridge, I have Power Concern

Ok here is a real newbie question for the Fountain gang.

The waiting game is killing us, so we started putting our list together of things we want to to get for our new girl and have come to a cooler versus refrigerator talk.

Can we use the fridge for a day of cruising and anchoring without killing our batteries, or is this kind of use limited to generator action only?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, I suppose you are referring to a carry on fridge because the 35ex has a built in cooler, not a fridge (unless they changed the design). So I guess it depends on the size of the fridge that you are talking about.

Your boat should come with 2 switchable batteries, between them you should be ok. Just in case, I always keep one of those self-contained jump starters. It only weighs about 10 lbs and has saved my butt a couple of times, not to mention the times I've helped other people with their dead batteries.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

I am refering to the built in unit in the 35 Lightning. I just don't have any manuals or specs yet to see what kind of draw this unit has.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

Ahh, ok, for some reason I thought it was a ex. I can't wait to see pics of your boat.

I have no idea how much power they use but the boys at LCM should know.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have one now but have in the past. If you have deep cell batteries, you can anchor for the day with the fridge and tunes on 1 battery only. When it is time to go switch to 2 battery to start. Then go back to 1 battery after it starts so when you're running , it will then be chargin up. Also, fridge does not need to be on the whole time. It is a cooler already, so it will stay somewhat cool in there for awhile, without having to run it. If you have shore power, then you'll have nothing to worry about at the dock.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct answers,
I had a Carver & I was actually able to run a fridge overnight & into the next day on the standard battery #2. Then I would fire the boat up to warm up some hot water & charge the batts.
I like the fridge option, I would go with it.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

Go with the fridge. We've never had a problem with the battery running down. It's nice to have a place to keep things cold that you don't want to get wet (lunch meat, cheese, etc). We still use two coolers with ice for refreshments.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally posted by innthered
cheese...
you guys eat that stuff too??
Old 03-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

From these posts it sounds like Marti is going to be able to load up her new fridge.

We have a nice self contained jump starter that will be making its way on board as well.

This group is the best... Now can anybody give me a remedy for all of this high anxiety we have waiting for our boat to be delivered.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with the batteries running down I have two with a selector but never switch them off they are still the originals from 1993......the fridge is way worth it. I put the canned beverages in a cooler still on ice but all our food goes in the fridge.

Quick Reply: Wife dig's Fridge, I have Power Concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.