Single Engine 10 meter

Notices

Single Engine 10 meter

Old 04-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single Engine 10 meter

Hi guys,
I puchased an '88 10 meter last year and am considering powering it with a turbine engine, (I have sucessfully built 2 small boats with them so far) and I'm looking for some input from you guys. I don't want to build a boat that will only 70 mph, some folks tell me that even with 1200 Hp, only using one drive will hurt the project. I have seen 32 Activators with single 1000hp and #6 run good.
This might be a better question for the main technical board Q&A but I'll give it a try.
1) what are your thoughts on a 10 meter with single engine? ( leave out docking issues)
2) use a #6 drive or surface drive? ( I hear surface drives push the bow down, and work better on boats with rocker in the hull)
3) what hieght would you set the drive at? ( the prop shaft in realation to the very bottom of the hull, not the notch)
4) would you use a right hand drive or left ?
5) the engine I have makes about 1200HP and more torque than a piston eng, Any body care to estimate the top speed?
6) I was told the hull was an X race boat... any way to tell from the hull ID #'s
Thanks so much... Eric
Old 04-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

I would call the factory and ask about the hull number. I think Gail would be the one to ask that question. As for the single drive you may want to talk with Reggie or Marty Bosinger. They may know if it's been tried with a single.
Dan
Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

What kind of fuel do you feed those turbines with - JP5?

And is it hard to get insurance on a 1200hp turbine engine in a pleasure boat?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've considered a 10-Meter single-engine setup for other reasons, like a long-distance endurance race, if one ever happens.

My thoughts were a 700ci (or so) motor with a 10-71 and light boost to get me to around 1000hp. 6-drive and a crash box, too. Again, endurance is the key word here. I'm running a 1000 hp now, but with two motors. With a single motor, there's less weight, and most of all, one less of EVERYTHING to break (motor, trans, drive, etc).

With 300-400 gal of fuel onboard, it should still run in the 80mph range full, and close to 90 when the tanks empty out.

Your turbine project sounds interesting. As mentioned above, two issues you'll face is docking ability, and the ability to get insurance. Liability with parts spinning at 20k rpm is up there, and your agent might not understand why he should insure a boat that belches fire from it's a$$.

Good luck, and post pictures as your project moves along.

Brian
Old 04-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Thanks Brian,
I have checked out your site looking for info in the past. I Need big time help with the drive hieght issue. Also wanted to hear about torque issues with single drive and high power.. Here's a pic of the hull
Eric
Attached Thumbnails Single Engine 10 meter-big-red-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help with drive height, but if anyone would know, the folks at Fountain might. Try to get ahold of Gail Lane and see if she can get you in touch with Jeff Harris or someone knowledgable in the rigging shop. Tell them what you're trying to accomplish, and I'll bet they'll be interested in talking..

How do you plan on dealing with the keel? There's a big fat stringer running up the center, and I'm wondering how you would get the turbine low enough in the center for a reasonable driveshaft exit angle. That question would also apply to setting up one with a single piston engine. Just curious...

Thanks for checking into my site. I just did a major update late last week, so look again if you haven't looked lately. Candyman set me up with the headline picture on the front page. I'll be adding a summary of this winter's work soon.

Torque is something to consider. There was a guy on the GLSCS circuit last year with a single Sterling putting out 800hp in a 24' custom canopied boat, with about 6 feet worth of surface drive hanging off the back. When he would get enough of the boat out of the water to where just the prop was still digging in, the torque would yank him and he would spin out hard to the left. It happened 4-5 times last year. We all knew it and made sure we passed on the right

There are alot of differences in what you're trying to accomplish, but an extended surface drive could put you in the same "boat".

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out.

Brian
Old 04-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Registered

Brian,
The site looks great!!!
Dan

Last edited by candyman35; 04-07-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

Agreed...nice site Brian