Notices

Mid Summer's Peconic Boat Blast

Old 05-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mid Summer's Peconic Boat Blast

I suggest that we make the date July 17th with a rain date of July 18th. If all are in favor I will call Claudio's and discuss what their requirements are for docking and for eating. I suspect they want a minimum number of boats to reserve docking and tables. It's important to have an idea of how many boats and people are interested. So you guys need to talk up so I can frame it a bit for them. So far I count;

Gary's 29, Gregg's 35, Duncan's 29, Tripps 30, HPFountain from Mariners Cove Mariner, Christian Gott and friends, my 29 for a total of 7 definite boats. Not bad for a few days of a thread. Including the West Great South Bay Boys I know, Gregg's East End fleet and the Mariners Cove folks I think we with hit 14 - 16 boats.
I think there will be more.. But it would be good to know how much more.

I think we need a North Group contact person and would like to name Gary (Gferdon) as skipper there. If Gregg (Fastfountain35) doesn't mind, I think he should be the East Southern Fleet Skipper and I will be the West Southern fleet contact person. Some one has to decide when to start and then to stop etc.

What about route meetings? One meeting or multiple meetings for each area?

I liked the idea of using the handheld marine radio's last time for communication and I think Pat from Jersey's idea of channel 69 worked out great.

We need a meeting point for both North and South and maybe a few pickup points along the way. I think we should meet at Claudio's at high noon.

These are my idea's and I am happy to modify as we discuss. What do you all think??

Steve

Last edited by nolimits; 05-26-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Registered

With my handle, I MUST be in on that. I live in Quogue (between Westhampton & Southampton) and about 5 minutes (by boat) from Vinnie. (Vinnie: Pls PM me!!!)

7/17 does NOT look good for me, though: Atlantic City OPA Race.
I also can't the 7/30 weekend (St. Clair, MI OSS/GLSCS race)

Everything else is wide open.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Registered

Southern Route

Two main options for the Southern Route:

On the Inside from Babylon to the Shinnecock Canal.
Or on the Outside from Babylon to Shinnecock Inlet & Canal.

I'd make that optional or dependent on the weather. I'd also forget any ideas of going all the way to Montauk on the outside. Although possible, this makes the trip too dependent on wind & waves.

Shinnecock Lock & Canal is a major chokepoint, especially on a Saturday. You want to be through that early, before the mayhem starts. A milling&meeting on the Northern Side of the Canal is recommended. (Northern Side is after you have transited from Shinnecock Bay to Peconic Bay.)

Then the classic route is through Peconic Bay, fork right at Shelter Island, pass Sag Harbor, go all the way round Shelter Island and finally approach Claudio's from the North-East.

That would also give an opportunity to join up with the Northern contingent that would come in from the Sound at Plum Island. It would probably be more practical to join North & South at Claudio's though.

Claudio's typically wants their organized crowds early, 11am to 12 noon latest.
Attached Thumbnails Mid Summer's Peconic Boat Blast-peconicroute.jpg  

Last edited by Peconic; 05-27-2004 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:34 AM
Registered

This being a non-denominational run, I have posted an announcement in the Rallyes, Poker Runs etc. section, with a link to here.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...532#post978532
Old 05-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Welcome Peconic! Your Peconic Bay experience particularly around Shelter Island will be a help. I am fine with July 10th and the 11th as a rain day. Weigh in guys.... As far as the southern route goes to Shelter Island I am fine with outside or inside. For the "1st annual Ferdon Fun Run" I lead the inside and Gregg lead the outside. We just have to watch the timing of when we start. Let's get this thing moving and what about T-shirts??? Anyone interested in picking that up?

Steve
Old 05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Please re-read the initial post for info.....
Old 05-27-2004, 02:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in from the North! Looking forward to it!
Will be good to hook up with Peconic, Tripps, and some new friends too.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

Hey, Pat!

I'm still in Europe, but will be back in Quogue on Sat. I had a quick chat with Vinnie (HPFountain) and we can cover our end of the run. I'll talk with Vinnie again on Monday.

July 10 would be just perfect for me. Clashing with the Atlantic City OPA race would not be a good idea, because that usually draws a lot of boats from the region.

B
Old 05-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Glad you are both on board. Spoke with Bill Claudio who directed me to his Brother-in-law Jerry Tutile who is supposed to call me back. He handles the dock and clam bar. The trick will be to get there early as docking is first come first serve (11 -12). The other issue will be that the tall ships will be there on the 10th, with a few of them docked at Claudio's. We might have to raft a few boats, so we should bring our bumpers. But very cool to be there with the ships!!

Peconic can you give us a more detailed route around Shelter Island?

Again we should arange a place for the west Bay boys to meet the east bay boys to meet the Shinnecock boys etc. Gregg can we hook up at the Sonoma Grill again?

Steve
Old 05-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Registered

Going there with the tall ships would be BLAST!!!! Coming in at 11 would be mandatory anyway to get space, and rafting up also is very common when doing these outings.

I'd say, let's go for the 10th!!!

Going 'round Shelter is easy, not much to worry about except for the Ferry (don't run into it) and some rocks near Sag Harbor (don't run into them.)

I have it all on my GPS/map system, detailled route on Sunday when I'm back in Quogue.

Tell the folks at the Clam Bar that Professor Toolhammer sends his regards.

Who's up for some exploratory runs next week?
Attached Thumbnails Mid Summer's Peconic Boat Blast-shelter.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mid Summer's Peconic Boat Blast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.