Stepping Up from 27' - Need advice from other Fountain owners

Notices

Stepping Up from 27' - Need advice from other Fountain owners

Old 02-26-2005, 04:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stepping Up from 27' - Need advice from other Fountain owners

Finally gave up on the idea of modifying my '03 27 and am going to step up instead.

Have gone from living on the lake to living about an hour away, so need something with a bigger cabin for weekending with my girl on the boat. Will only be "sleeping" on the boat since I've got a good sized deck w/ fridge, grill, etc. at my slip.

Know this is a strange list of prospects, but am looking for a used 32', 38' or 42' with blue motors. Want to stay below $150k and 150 hrs if possible. Have looked at several but not sure which way to go.

Several friends have 32's and love them. 32' w/ HP 500 EFI's is fast and fun to drive, but cabin is small and you can catch a lot of air in the really rough stuff. Which can be fun, but hard on the equipment. However, I only boat on lakes, so 90% of the time the 32' is plenty of boat at least from a handling the waves perspective. Biggest fear with the 32' is that I'll want to step up again later.

Looked at two 38's I really liked, a '98 Classic and a '00 Lightning. Can anyone tell me the difference in the hulls on these two? The steps appear the same to me. I know the newer 38's have bigger steps, but this 2000 doesn't look to have larger steps than the '98 (I can't see them side by side).

Looked at one 42', but it's a repo and has Whippled HP 500 EFI's. Am worried about bying a repo that has S/C engines. Guess I'm afraid they probably weren't maintained. Also not sure how reliable this setup is long term.

Finally, several boats I've looked at have HP 500 Carbs instead of EFI's, one has HP 575 SCi's. Am worried about the valve spring issue on the HP 500 Carbs as well as a potential lack of reliability with carbs vs. EFI. Any idea how much $$$ to replace the valve springs (with labor, etc.)? Also not sure how reliable the 575's are or how long they will last. Any experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
Old 02-26-2005, 04:48 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Stepping Up from 27' - Need advice from other Fountain owners

I can put you on to a 89 38. The motors are blue 2001 500efi's with trannys and #4's all redone in 2001. New paint and cockpit on a like new Myco trailer. This boat doesn't look old at all. Runs 75-80mph and should sell in 70k's.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks t500hps.

If you could send me info and pics that would be good. It's honestly older than what I was looking for, but if it's updated w/ 500 EFI's, it's worth a look.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2001 32 for 95 on a trailer. It has 572's with IMCO 2 inch shorties or I can change out engines for 509's (EFI's) completely redone for same money. They have 560 HP and 600 Torque. Roger 336 214 6900
Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Some good boats for sale, but no recommendations??

C'mon I know there's lots of you guys out there who've stepped up from 27's to bigger Fountains who can help me out.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went from a 27 to our current 32 because we started staying on ours every Fri-Sun during the summer in our slip. The 27 was too small, the 32 could be a bit bigger in the cabin, but we have no real problem with it. The longer seating area and sink are nice. Biggest gain was in the doorway. Alot easier to enter/exit the cabin than the 27 was.The valve spring issues goes for both the carbed and EFI's HP500's. A buddy has a 42, while longer and more space in the cabin, Fountains just are not roomy and loaded with plush items w/o going to the sport cruiser line. Just depends on what is good enough for you. Had ours for 2 ys now really enjoy it. The 35 does have more freeboard over the 27-32, which are basically the same cockpit , and space between the boolsters and rear seat, so be a bit more roomier to move around.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Registered

Why have you not mentioned the 35 Lightning? I think that it is an excellent size and match for the "blue" motors, is affordable and towable with most tow vehicles. It was my first choice but I got an excellent deal on a 38 Fever and love it. It was bigger than I was looking for but I love the cockpit room.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

US1 - Thanks for the info on your 32'. I've stayed several weekends in my slip on my 27', but I wouldn't call it luxurious by any means. Just feels really cramped down there when you're doing anything other than sleeping. Just love the way the 32's drive. More like the 27' than a 38' or a 42'. Unless it's rough, the 38' and 42' remind me of my SeaRay cruiser (just a lot faster).

Pachanga - Thanks for the response. Should have mentioned why I'm not looking at 35's. Looked at ordering a new 35' Executioner w/ 525's, but everyone tells me resale on an Ex would be terrible w/ 525's since it's the low cost model. Also, I know this will sound picky, but I just hate the vents on the back of the single step 35's. As for the TS 35's, honestly they all seem too expensive. If I could find one used for a reasonable price I'd definitely consider it. Just seems like the 38's and 42's are cheap right now (I think due to the new 42' Ex pricing).

Thanks again to both of you for the thoughts. Anyone else have input? 38' or 42' owners?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I just submitted my reply and I realize already I'm going to catch chet for the SeaRay comment so my apologies in advance. Wasn't my intent. Just meant the 38' and 42' cruise smooth on the lakes I run on whereas the 32's can get rough when it starts getting real choopy. No offense intended for all you 38' and 42' owners out there.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are interested in a 35 with blue motors, a friend has a '98 with factory 600SC motors listed in the classifieds. The boat is mint! Been told this is a rare boat with the 600's. asking $125k.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...hp?product=923

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-28-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Stepping Up from 27' - Need advice from other Fountain owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.