Long awaited Informational Thread for June 30 Fun Run >

Long awaited Informational Thread for June 30 Fun Run

Notices

Long awaited Informational Thread for June 30 Fun Run

Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation June 30 Fun Run Informational Thread

Ok here we go, Our hopes of going up to South Seas are going to have to move back to late July or early August. I took the opportunity to go up and visit Craig the Harbormaster at South Seas to work out some our details and he has some good ideas for food setup and dockage but try as he might, Craig was unable to have us in or around that date as there are to many events going on there this month. They do really want us to come up so stay tuned for a July/August fun run to their fine establishment. As a back up plan the June fun run will take us down to Guy Harvey’s at the Esplanade in Marco. Some of you may recall they saved the day for us back in January so showing our gratitude by patronizing them again would be nice.

As this is my first info thread please speak up if I leave anything out.

Route:

Our starting point will be from the north side of the Sanibel Bridge. Boats should assemble around 10:45 AM and we will leave by 11:00 sharp. Marco Island and Naples boats can meet at Gordon Pass at 10:00 AM. From there we will head north to meet the main group of boats by 11:00 AM at the Sanibel Bridge. FMB and Bonita boats can pick us up on the way by or go directly to the SB. When we start our run we will go south under the bridge and running by the Ft. Myers Beach pier. As the pack spreads out The faster boats should break at Wiggins Pass and Gordon’s Pass to get us all back together. Once we get down to Marco Island we should regroup near the outer marker to Capri/Little Marco Pass for an organized entry into the pass Once into the pass all boats should enter a single file formation into the Esplanade. The dock space is public so we cannot reserve it, but I have spoken with the Dockmaster and they are expecting us. We will have to be prepared to raft off.

Fuel / Distance:

The round trip distance is about 82 miles this should be attainable by all boats. If fuel is needed The Naples City Dock has 89 octane and diesel and is found be entering Gordon’s Pass and taking a left at the T then following the markers in from there

Food:

I spoke with Terry the General Manager for Guy Harvey’s and they are excited to have us. We will be ordering from the regular menu. He has asked me to let him know aprrox. how many of will be attending a few days before so please let me know.

Communication:

Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell number is 239-253-4773. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time either waiting or looking for you. Leave a voicemail message if no answer.

After Lunch:

By 2:00 to 2:30 PM latest we need to be on our way. We can, if time permits, head over to Keywaddin by way of the intracostal for some beach time. From there everyone can head home as their schedule dictates.

Tide Information: Low tide for Marco will be @ 1:09 PM which should pose not threat for our destination which is fairly deep all the way in to the Esplanade

Waypoints:

Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Gordon Pass [ Naples] N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Sanibel Bridge N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88

Weather/ Sea Conditions:

From the NOAA marine forecast site: As of June 28 for Saturday June 30 -
WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

Safety:

”Each Captain is required to operate his vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE [ Boating Safety Association for Events ]. Visit www.boatingsafe.org
When running in the intercoastal be aware that this can be a high traffic area and we ask that other boats be given a wide berth and that the rules of the road be paid attention to. We have an opportunity here to show that offshore boaters can go out and have a fun day on the water and be respectful of others and try and improve our sometimes tarnished image. This should be one of the goals of FMO. ” as quoted from our fearless leader Bob Barnhart

John
cell - 239 253-4773
e mail [email protected]

Last edited by Specialized; 06-28-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

john:

Extremely thorough. Now, if only I could get that boat finished !!

T
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a plan. I should be able to make it.

Jack
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

Tom,
Will you be able to get r done in time. Hope to see you there

Jack,
I look forward to running more than a mile or so with you this time

John
Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Hey John,
Looks like I will be working for this one too. I promise to make a fun run this year. lol
But on a better note, the boat is back up and running. Was out this last weekend breaking in the motor. Got the first 10 hours in. Couldn't get a prop to hook-up though. Best speed was 60mph @ 4000rpm with another 1500 rpm to go. Need to go bigger than a 26 pitch prop. To much slip. Infact almost all slip.
I hope you all have a great time a safe motoring.
Terry
Old 06-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

Terry,
We'll get you on one these runs someday. Good luck with getting the boat dialed in

John
Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

John,

I was just down in your area two weeks ago on my 442. My previous boat was a 38 that I purchased from a couple of guys in Naples that kept it in dry storage. I wish I had seen this in the past and contacted you guys while we were down there. We spent 3 days at the city docks and I was with a group of cruisers that are from our neighborhood. Also watch the OPBA website as there will be a poker run the weekend of the 14th in Sarasota and maybe some of your group is interested in coming up and participating. I also hope to be able to possible come south a do a run or two with your group.

Keith
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Terry,

Good to hear the boat's back up and running. The hardest part's over - you'll get the props right eventually!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered

Craig,
How's the new ride???
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Terry,

The new ride is great but we're shaking down a few electrical issues but they aren't a big deal. I've had her up to about 55 mph so far. I think she's got 62 in her; we'll see. I'm doing a poker run up here this weekend - should have about 8 people onboard, so we'll see how she does 'loaded'.

And yes, I've christened the 'captain's lounge' at the front of the cabin. Quite nicely designed! Thanks for asking!

BTW, if anyone knows of storage for boat / trailer in Marco / Naples starting mid-October, let me know and we'll talk.

Quick Reply: Long awaited Informational Thread for June 30 Fun Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.