Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island >

Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Notices

Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Old 01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We arrived late, spoke with some of you, and got something to eat. Finally headed out from the dock at about 5 PM and got under way after the 20 minute idle.

As we left Big Marco Pass and entered the Gulf we were greeted by 4-6 foot seas, that's a guess on the small side. Looked more like 5-7 with an occasional 8 footer.

As I jumped crest to crest at about 40 mph, I could tell our guests were not offshore warriors like my wife and I.

Long story short, I had to call my father who lives in Naples and asked him meet me at the City Dock so he could transport my crew back to Cape Coral via the roadway.

I strapped on a life jacket and finally got underway from Gordon Pass at 6:30 PM in total darkness. Not wanting to take any chances, I just surfed the high seas back at an average of 22 mph.

Thank God for my trusty Garmin and my battleship Cigarette.

Looking forward to our next outing.

Jack

Last edited by US MUSL; 01-02-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US MUSL
We arrived late, spoke with some of you, and got something to eat. Finally headed out from the dock at about 5 PM and got under way after the 20 minute idle.

As we left Big Marco Pass and entered the Gulf we were greeted by 4-6 foot seas, that's a guess on the small side. Looked more like 5-7 with an occasional 8 footer.

As I jumped crest to crest at about 40 mph, I could tell our guests were not offshore warriors like my wife and I.

Long story short, I had to call my father who lives in Naples and asked him meet me at the City Dock so he transport my crew back to Cape Coral via the roadway.

I strapped on a life jacket and finally got underway from Gordon Pass at 6:30 PM in total darkness. Not wanting to take any chances, I just surfed the high seas back at an average of 22 mph.

Thank God for my trusty Garmin and my battleship Cigarette.

Looking forward to our next outing.

Jack
Jack the next time something like that happens call me 239-253-4773 we would find a place for your boat for the night. It scares me to think of heading out into 5-7's at night with a 50 mile trip ahead Glad to hear you made it back ok

Enjoyed seeing everyone yesterday.

John
Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Registered

We made a valiant effort yesterday. Trailered the boat down to Bayview Park, got her launched, got to the outside marker and shut her down to wait for the boats from Marco. The rain and wind were closing in fast, went to start the motor ... No fuel pressure. Primed all the lines, checked the pump (electric) finally got it started, but the fuel pressure was below 3psi. We idled it all the way back to the boat ramp.
We passed John in his Dragon Boat on our way in. By the time we had the boat on the trailer, John was coming back in, and saw the Canopied Fountain too. Got home, started the motor to flush it out and the fuel pump steadily climbed to 6psi. Don't figure.
Glad eveyone had a safe and fun trip.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob As always great day even though not by boat for me. Great to seee everyone! Till next time.

Jack you are a tropper. Glad you made it home safe and sound. AS I was crossing the midpoint and saw your truck I said to myself he has a ride ahead of him. I knew it would be rough. Again glad you home safe and sound!

Dennis
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad everyone made it back safely. Jeff Haylett did something similar to Jack where he dropped some of his crew off in Naples before riding the surf north to FM Beach. PremierPOWER has a story to tell on their way back up to Punta Gorda but I will leave that to them. The conditions did worsen as predicted as the afternoon went on. Thanks Terry, Springbrook, Dennis L. Bob Morgan and others who were even thinking about coming but made the right decision.

Here is a pic of Jack and the US MUSL crew at lunch. Dan's Fountain is in the background.
Attached Thumbnails Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island-new-years-day-08-fun-run-047-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,
I think you and Frank R. need to exchange boat names.
You're the "Warrior" for sure.
Sorry we couldn't even think about making it. Had a house full of college kids going til 3:00 AM.
Hope to Sea you on the next one.
Terry
Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

What a great afternoon ! Bob, thanks for setting this all up......

As we followed Bob north in Dan's Canopy Fountain, the weather started to get pretty nasty, and we turned back and headed towards Marco.
Both Dan and I were fairly convinced that Bob would be meeting us at Guy Harveys without any other boats due to the weather. We were pretty suprised when Premier Power idled in behind Bob.

What happened next really blew me away:

People started showing up by car !!!! Tons of people !!!!!

It made me think (on New Years Day) what a great group of people I've been fortunate to meet through OSO, Ft.Myers Offshore, and of course BobTheBuilder !
The camaraderie between all the people that were there yesterday, and those that intended to be there is truly unique.

You're a special bunch....
I'm wishing you all the best of everything for 2008 !!!

Hans
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

Bob,
Frank and I spent a great afternoon at lunch with everyone from FMO. We were disappointed at first because we had been looking forward to boating to Guy Harvey's, but as it turned out we met a lot of interesting people and spent a pleasant afternoon. Maybe we'll have better weather for the next outing. Thanks for all your work in organizing the event.

Barb
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

Wish I had made the trip over, as I was working in the yard I kept thinking about how much I wished I had.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the organization effort Bob. We had a great time at lunch.

Tom C

Quick Reply: Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.