Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Notices

Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Our New Years Day Fun Run will be to Marco Island. Again, we will start from the south side of the Sanibel Bridge at 11:30 AM. We will be having lunch at Guy Harvey's in the Esplanade complex. Danny has agreed to give us our own 2 hr. private setting from 1:30 till 3:30 PM before he opens to the public.

This run will be different in that we have hired a helicopter in order that Jay ( Jayboat) can provide you with aerial pictures of your boat. We are looking into video pictures as well.

If you are able to join us, post up here or let me know by phone: 239-776-0481, e mail: [email protected] or by way of PM here on OSO. Post your questions here on this thread and I will do my best to answer them.

The run is open to all offshore boats capable of a 50 MPH min. cruising speed so tell your friends but please help by making sure they get the information in this thread.

Bob

Route: From the Sanibel Bridge we will run a straight shot to the beachfront high rise condos at Naples and once we get south of Gordon Pass thought it would be neat to run just off the beach along Keewaydin Island to Big Marco Pass.
We will have 3 groups and 3 separate starts. Each group will have a paceboat identified by a different color flag. Please assemble close to the group you choose to run in. Group 1 will be boats capable of cruising at over 75 MPH and will start first, shortly after the helicopter arrives. I will be the paceboat for Group 2 for boats wanting to cruise at 65 to 70 MPH. The final start will be Group 3 consisting of boats cruising at 50 to 60 MPH depending on sea conditions.
Until you get your picture taken, we should stay in the same general vicinity and not be all over the Gulf. Once your picture has been taken there is no need to stay behind the paceboat.
We should all stop at Gordon Pass to regroup for the run down the beach to Marco.

Fuel / Distance: The distance from the Sanibel Bridge to Marco Island is about 45 miles each way. All boats are urged to leave with full fuel as there is no convenient fuelling on Marco Island or anywhere in between. 93 octane is available at the Caloosa Island Yacht Club in Goodland which is 10 miles southeast of Marco and not real easy to get to. 93 octane is also available at the Cape Coral Yacht Club.

Food: Danny and Bradley at Guy Harvey's Island Grill have put together a limited menu for us to select from. We can choose from their Bay Burger, Fish Sandwich, Chicken Sandwich, Philly Cheesesteak, Caesar or House Salad ( add chicken breast, shrimp, salmon or mahi mahi ) or their Key West Cobb Salad with lump crab. All sounds good to me. Salads start at $7.99 up to $11.99 for the Philly Cheesesteak.

Communication: Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell is 239-776-0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time waiting or looking for you. Leave a voice mail if no answer.

Pictures:
Jay ( OSO / FMO Jayboat ) will be taking aerial pics from the R 44 helicopter. The cost will be $100 per boat. We now have confirmation that Donna C. ( Tom - Megabyte*3's wife ) will be in the helicopter as well, shooting video of the boats. All participating boats are asked to contribute unless for some reason we cannot get pictures of your boat.

Tide Info:

Cape Coral Bridge : HT - 10:57 AM; LT - 3:32 PM; HT - 9:28 PM
Sanibel Bridge: HT - 8:29 AM; LT - 11:59 PM; HT - 7:01 PM
Estero Bay: HT - 8:55 AM; LT - 12:50 PM; HT - 7:26 PM
Naples Bay: HT - 8:07; LT - 1:39 PM; HT - 7:25 PM
Marco River: HT - 8:20 AM; LT - 1:42 PM; HT - 7:38 PM

Waypoints:

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88.
Naples: ( Gordon Pass ) N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67.
Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Weather / Sea Conditions:

See post # 133 for the latest weather posted at 8 AM this morning Jan. 1 / 08

Safety: Each boat Captain is required to operate his / her vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org

Contact Info:

Bob cell: 239-776-0481 e mail: [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island-esplanade-1.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-01-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Weather updated 8 am Tues. Jan 1 / 08
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in...........Looking forward to it !!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

At this point ( Sun Dec. 30th. ) I am aware of 34 boats confirmed and 2 maybe's. If you are planning on coming and are not on the list please post up. ( sorry if I inadvertently overlooked anyone ) I know there are more but here are the boats that I am aware of at this time:

Confirmed: Bob (BTB); Don, Maritime_Eng; Tom, wantingmore; John, NapleBaja; Aaron, THUNDER-STRUCK; Dennis, The Menace; boatfreak; FUNITHESUN; Dan, Earthwerks; Rick & Monica, bajarick; Sam & Joy Maye, Cape Coral / Ontario; Mike, SMITHBOY; Tommy, Fountain; Ben & Carrie Payne ; Don & Carolyn,pasunbum; Ken & Karen, TRELFA; Jeff & Debbie Haylett; Terry & Debbie, pashn8boater; US MUSL. Jack; Bob Morgan, canopy Skater; John S, Springbrook ; bob in his classic Sutphen; Franksmarine; Kevin H; TJ ; Rejeanne D; Kim Wallace; Bill Taylor;Drew, Playboy Cig; PremierPower; 38 Powerquest; nother Fountain; Dennis, bowtye8;Mark H;

Maybe's: Paul Fiore; Rick;

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-30-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Update list of attendees
Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

I had a little problem with the Pantera yesterday, got up on plane, got to 50 at 5000, started trimming it out, and the motor would just stop

Did this 3 times, starts right back up, and gets back on plane for 30 seconds or so, so I put it back on the trailer, and rode with a friend to Lake boca, so my day wasnt a total loss.

I believe it is fuel pressure related, Hopefully thats all it is, and will be fixed before next weekend, so I can dial the boat in before new years.

Rick
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

We will be there!

Are there any other small cats running with us?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,
Count us in for the New Years Run!
When you get it figured out, let us know how much our share will be for the pictures.
Arriving in the cape on the 17'th of Dec.
We can meet for lunch and a cold one anytime!
Rick & Monica
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bajarick
Bob,
Count us in for the New Years Run!
When you get it figured out, let us know how much our share will be for the pictures.
Arriving in the cape on the 17'th of Dec.
We can meet for lunch and a cold one anytime!
Rick & Monica
OOPPPSS. Sorry for the oversight, Rick. I knew you were coming. I have edited post #2 and added you to the list.
We will get together.
Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Registered

If you need any help Bob just let me know I should be in town Dec 7 :boat
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Earthwerks
If you need any help Bob just let me know I should be in town Dec 7 :boat
Thanks Dan. Look forward to seeing you again. My trip this week is a bit short - Wednesday PM till Monday PM but then back from Dec 17th thru to Jan. 9th. We will get together.
Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

Hey Bob,

I am going to try for the 1st. Starboard motor will be coming out on Thursday. Hopefully gone for 1-2 weeks and then back in. It has been hard over the last 3 weeks to do anything on the boat due to work being so busy, but things are lightening up a bit now. I'll be damned if I am going to miss out on that helicopter again So hope to see you all there.

John

Quick Reply: Information Thread for New Years 2008 Fun Run to Marco Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.