Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
We had a rough trip home from the New Year’s day fun run! >

We had a rough trip home from the New Year’s day fun run!

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts
Default We had a rough trip home from the New Year’s day fun run!

Bob, thank you so much for running up to Sanibel to meet us – it was a real thrill to run solo with the “Big Gun”. I certainly enjoyed meeting some more of the members and I am really looking forward to meeting more!

Well, we broke down about a quarter of the way up Charlotte Harbor, or so we thought. Port engine lost power similar to when the Smart Craft system lowers the rev limiter. We make a bunch of quick checks for alarms, gas gauge showed just less than a quarter, digital showed 28 or so gallons, no alarms….engine flames out….we restart and run several minutes same thing. Ok, we re-route to Burnt Store marina everything seems fine….boat off plane…new fuel reading shows 34 gallons…plenty of range still to make it home, but it’s close to sunset and the wind is picking up. We’ll grab dinner and a cab home from Burnt Store Marina. About a half hour later Kevin comments that it a good thing we got one good engine. Within about 5 minutes of his comment the starboard engine flames out….no restart at all!!!! I am so glad that I joined Tow Boat US!!!

Do you want me to tell you guys what we did wrong and certainly the things that we did right or do you want to guess first or do you just want to wait and hear it over a beer?

Andy

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 01-03-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas gauge reading under a quarter means you better see the gas dock.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER

Do you want me to tell you guys what we did wrong and certainly the things that we did right or do you want to guess first or do you just want to wait and hear it over a bear?

Andy
Andy. I say share the right and wrong with everyone now and it may be a learning experience for others and save them from getting into a similar situation. Boating is strange in that even after many years of experience when you think you have seen or done it all, we sometimes are faced with a new situation to deal with. We can have a beer later ! LOL

From Punta Gorda to Marco is 100 miles so you did 200 miles that miserable day - er, well, almost 200 miles I guess.
I admire your courage for sure.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails -new-years-day-08-fun-run-019-%5B640x480%5D.jpg   -new-years-day-08-fun-run-015-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-03-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Bob,

I calculated the run using Maptech’s Offshore Navigator. I used the gas consumption profile from a BoatTest on a 382 with 575’s. With this profile, I allowed a 45 mph thru Charlotte Harbor and down the Intercoastal. From Sanibel, I planned on running with the 2nd group in the mid 60’s and returning in the mid 50’s. This should have allowed us 20% fuel reserve. When we ran with you solo, I talked you into a low 50’s run. This would have allowed us an additional 5% in fuel reserve.

The things that I did correctly:

- Life jackets on as soon as we lost the second engine
- An immediate call to tow boat US
- A second call to family members indicating that we were in trouble (they were expecting a call from us on completion of the trip)
- Not running down both batteries trying to trouble shoot and restart the engines
- Keeping reasonable track of our fuel consumption and position
- Scheduled a visit with Nor-Tech since we were pretty disappointed with our boat (some of the things we saw may be top secret!)
- Kept my deck shoes on when walking on the bow deck (I am safety over cosmetics weather its tieing up at a dock or somebody climbing on or me just trying to achor the boat during an emergency)

What did I do wrong?????? (At this point, its probably a trick question)

Andy

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 01-03-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

No gas.

From Bonita to Harpoon Harry's back to Bonita I have just enough fuel to go back to FMB for fuel. You made it farther than I would have.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Registered

I say Fuel Also. I got lucky when I did the 2006 hanksgiving day fun run to the Rod and Gun club. I should have fueled up with everyone else. I was just under a 1/2 tank. I didnt touch the throttles. Left it at 3000rpm the whole way.
from there to cape coral. When I filled up it took 147 gal on a 150 gal tank. I just made it.
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails -fuelgone-small-.jpg  
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to keep in mind. When the water gets rough your fuel burn goes way up.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when travelling by boat a rule of thumb for gas use is 1/3 there 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

I feel that we got beat by our Smart Craft gauge system. Remember the gauge was reading just below a quarter and the digital indicated that we had 34 gallons left. Initially, we were thinking pluged filters. When I pulled the secondary filters to inspect and change out, they were half full. Changed the primaries also. Started adding gas and the gauge wasn't showing any increase. Well, definately felt like we just ran out of gas and the gauge sensor is just stuck. Made a quick call to Formula to see how to access the sensor and they told me to first check the calibration on the Smart Craft. They don't leave the factory calibrated because the calibration procedure requires that you start with an empty tank and calibrate the system as you are doing your first fill up.

So now you be the judge, I feel like I got beat by the system.

By the way, I modified the calibration procedure and the gauge will now show empty when there will actually be some gas in the tank (can't reveal the quantity because I don't want Kevin to know).

Another thing that I did wrong was drop the anchor from the cockpit with the intent on walking the line around and up to the bow cleat. The following seas and high winds pulled the anchor rope out so fast that it partially fouled and it was everything we had to keep our hands on it. The Formula bow rail is a little corny, but I probably would have been in trouble without it.

Andy
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

I mis judged a trip once. Spent the night tied to Bloody Point Light. Got towed in by a work boat in the AM. I was so sure I had fuel available I actually removed the sender and looked in the tank. It was ugly but all considered I got lucky.

Quick Reply: We had a rough trip home from the New Year’s day fun run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.