Notices
View Poll Results: Do you use tie down straps?
I use straps AND a safety chain
72.58%
I JUST use a safety chain and winch
13.23%
No straps, No safety chain, just a winch
8.06%
Allan4 is a putz
6.13%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Who uses Tie down straps

Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who uses Tie down straps

Originally Posted by BURNSMAZZ
It takes a lot to dump one of these things off the trailer,what in the hell was the guy with the Fountain doing? There had to have been a sharp curve,someone pulled out in front of him, something **** doesn't just happen like that. If you've got the bow secured tight and you are not driving like an idiot on a road full of holes and 90 degree curves that boat shouldn't go anywhere.

most people dump them near the ramp...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I just use my Gold Fountain Necklace when I am towing

LMAO
Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered

I figured if I found some tie downs that were easy to use, I would use them more often. I found a heavy duty set of the type where the ratchet/reel attaches directly to the trailer frame at Bass Pro Shops, similar to what the bass boaters use.
They were easy to install, and they are always "right there".
All my buddies think they are easy to use and look pretty cool.
AND, now I use them all the time because they are right there in your face when you pull the drain plug at the ramp.
I don't use anything similar up front, just the winch cable.
I would if I could find something that would stay with the trailer and worked like the rear ratchet straps.
Seeing all these nice boats laying on the road and in the ditch is starting to me nervous.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Who uses Tie down straps-spacer.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-09-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Are you the Zuperman Zuckerman?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Rented a boat on a trailer in Lake Powell. First time I ever trailered a boat and had real problems getting the boat on the trailer at the end of a boat camping trip while other boaters yelled at me about taking too long at the ramp.

On the drive home the boat was bouncing horribly on the trailer the girl gave me, so I pulled over and used a hundred feet of rope I bought with me from NY to lash the thing down with every inch. On arrival at the rental agency, the surprised manager said "what, that trailer is for a smaller sized boat, I am amazed you got it on." The road did take a chunk off the outdrive though, which I did not have to pay for.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CBR
Rented a boat on a trailer in Lake Powell. First time I ever trailered a boat and had real problems getting the boat on the trailer at the end of a boat camping trip while other boaters yelled at me about taking too long at the ramp.

On the drive home the boat was bouncing horribly on the trailer the girl gave me, so I pulled over and used a hundred feet of rope I bought with me from NY to lash the thing down with every inch. On arrival at the rental agency, the surprised manager said "what, that trailer is for a smaller sized boat, I am amazed you got it on." The road did take a chunk off the outdrive though, which I did not have to pay for.
Gotta love rental companies. And impatient people at ramps. Yelling at me only makes me take longer, no matter what I'm doing!! F off or shut up... your choice!!! LOL!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Use a winch strap, with cable safety cable, and tie down straps on transom, WHEN I do trailer my boat, ~1-2 a year
Dean
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Always use straps. You never know when you will have to slam on the brakes.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Are you the Zuperman Zuckerman?
No Waterfoul, I'm Clark Kent. I do like Zuperman's ride though.
I've just got a little single engine 28' Nordic with a HP575.
Zuperman would probably use my boat for a yacht tender .............................
Regards,
Steve
Old 04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I didn't use transom straps. Until one day I ran over a particularly rough section of road. The boat bounced around so much that wound it leaning around 10-20 degrees to port once the road smoothed out. I had no way of righting it with out taking it back to the water.
Now I have transom and bow straps.

I used to take the winch cable and safety chain off before launching to save time. Until I once saw the bow bounce high enough to make me think it was going to slide off the trailer.
I now have a quick release sailing shackle with a line running into the truck cab. Once the boat is floating I pull the line and the safety chain drops free without having to get out.

Quick Reply: Who uses Tie down straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.