Hitch me up - trailering question >

Hitch me up - trailering question

Notices

Hitch me up - trailering question

Old 04-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hitch me up - trailering question

I have a 12k pound 2-5/16 x 1" shank ball here at my desk that is manufactured by Curt MFG. I bought the ball and a neat 14k alum ball mount from clever hitch.

www.cleverhitch.com

link to page with ball and mount
Old 04-28-2005, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

so what did ya get.?

even a one inch shank will be fine if tightened properly, with the lock nut, the proper tourqe will stretch the threads and the shank will be fine.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

I've got the appropriate parts on order, now I just have to guess at the drop. I think 2" should be fine.

I am too superstitious to talk about the "fiberglass thing that goes in water" until it is sitting in my driveway.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I've got the appropriate parts on order, now I just have to guess at the drop. I think 2" should be fine.

I am too superstitious to talk about the "fiberglass thing that goes in water" until it is sitting in my driveway.

Standard ball height is 18" to the top of the ball from the ground but you might want to ask the guy selling the fiberglass thingy to level the trailer and measure it you don't want to be too low with a heavy boat it will try and drive you. too high isnt that big of a deal but still not good.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered

Dock Rocker, if it is a one time deal you can swing by my house and use the 12k ball that I have. If it is not to late on the order. Dwight
Old 04-28-2005, 08:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

heck, ask Fred, he knows more about trailers than anyone
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc,
Not sure where you live in Detroit, but try Hitch House in Livonia, MI. They are now located on Plymouth Rd.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
Take a looky here. http://www.hiddenhitch.com/Home/

Tell Bubba to learn his job or get a new one.

Edit...Apparently the link automatically reverts to the home page. I had a page pulled up with the ball you are looking for. Either way they can be had.

Buck
Now Buck, I have a 30,000 # ball! If you go to a real trailer place, you can get a 30k ball and a solid hitch. I know it's overkill, but why not? You only have to buy it once. See ya this weekend Buck
Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Now Buck, I have a 30,000 # ball! If you go to a real trailer place, you can get a 30k ball and a solid hitch. I know it's overkill, but why not? You only have to buy it once. See ya this weekend Buck
A 30k ball is way overkill seeing as the max legal ball hitch trailer is 15k after that you gotta go fifth wheel or goosneck, that actually probably a goosneck ball that you have.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Dockrocker -

2 5/16" is standard size for that kind of weight. More than one accident has occured because someone connected a 2 5/16" hitch onto a 2" ball. Chances are it will not immediately come loose if this happens. But it WILL come loose.

Reese makes a great quick change trailer ball system that allows you to quickly change ball sizes without tools. The shank that the balls slide over is tapered and there is a lock screw in the top of it. A quarter turn of the screw an the ball slides off and another can be slid on. I was skeptical at first but have proven the system is great. Mine is rated to 12000 lbs. Reese is a big name in trailer equipment. You can Google them if you are interested.

Don't forget the 'stinger' too. It must also be rated for the extra weight. The difference between a 6000 lb. stinger and 12000 lb. stinger is the construction. The 6000 is hollow tubing and the 12000 is solid steel.

PT

Quick Reply: Hitch me up - trailering question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.