Notices

Dry start damage?

Old 05-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dry start damage?

When was it last replaced? If over a year ago I would replace the impeler and houseing. Its very good insurance.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered

It's the old addage: If you don't inspect it something will be wrong, if you do inspect it, it will probably be okay.

When I start my motors on the hose to flush, it takes a good 15 seconds before I have water running out the exhaust tips. Same thing when the boat is in the water.

My starboard motor runs about 10/12 degrees hotter than the port motor. Has been like this since I bought the boat. I confirmed this by the old "stick the hand in the water coming out the tips" test. It is slightly hotter. So it's not the guage or sender. Gusman says probably different therostat. It hasn't over heated, just runs a little warmer.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zog02
I am planning a trip next weekend so I want to make sure it is working correctly.
Spend the few $$ and replace it now while at home. I agree with Rush that if it is over a couple yrs old, do it anyway just for that reason.
You're taking it on a trip next weekend, that's a guarantee it is shot.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

i doubt the housing is ruined after 15 seconds....i would stick it in the launce and let run to check it. garden hose is a forced pressure not a draw.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Registered

How often to people typically change their impellers? I change mine every season including the housing.
I also carry spares in the boat since having one take a crap on the KW poker run one year. Luckily a friend had a complete waterpump, although different, that I was able to use the impeller to keep us going.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Dry start damage?

Originally Posted by sutphen30
couple ???

is housing guaranteed also for two years?

what about water pressure?i know those other impellers that are suppose to last gives less pressure,what about these?

last one,,,is the impeller specif from them??what happens 3 years from now if this co. goes bust,,can i use someone elses impeller?

thanks
I retrofitted my old Merc pumps to the KPM housing and impeller.

http://www.trickmarine.net/productde...?productid=369

It is a "run dry" pump with a warranty. If you're replacing Merc impellers and housings every season like I was, it pays for itself after a couple seasons.

I will say that there is more noticable pressure out of my water dumps at idle (not on the hose) than my old Merc pumps (with good impellers).

Last edited by Havasu Hangin; 05-14-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

I just tore it all apart and part of 3 splines are missing. I am scrambling to try to find a new housing and impeller today. I only have time to work on her during the weekend and I live in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for all the help. I am not sure how old the impeller was. I know it is over 3 years because thats how long I have had it. I am glad I tore it apart. By the way the housing is slightly oblong and not perfectly round. Is that normal or is my housing ruined too. I am going to get a new one so it really doesn't matter but just for my own knowledge.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zog02
I just tore it all apart and part of 3 splines are missing. I am scrambling to try to find a new housing and impeller today. I only have time to work on her during the weekend and I live in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for all the help. I am not sure how old the impeller was. I know it is over 3 years because thats how long I have had it. I am glad I tore it apart. By the way the housing is slightly oblong and not perfectly round. Is that normal or is my housing ruined too. I am going to get a new one so it really doesn't matter but just for my own knowledge.
The housing is suppost to be oblong. what you look for on the housing is grovved worn in the sides and end plates that alow water to bypass.

KPM is a well establiched company and I wouldn't worry about replacement part availability in the future.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

the out of round and the rubber splines is what makes it a pump.
Arn't you glad you checked it?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to find the missing vanes. Usually you can unhook the hose at the exit side of the next cooler in line and back flush that cooler. The vanes will more than likely be stuck on the inlet side of that cooler. Make sure you find ALL the missing peices.

One ruined boating vacation just avoided.

Quick Reply: Dry start damage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.