Notices

Memorial Weekend Loto- J-2005 Sound Law - Learn It

Old 05-25-2005, 02:48 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Memorial Weekend Loto- J-2005 Sound Law - Learn It

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
No the test is to be done when the background noise is at least 10 dB lower than the measured sound level.

So the surrounding sound can be up to 80 dB and the test still be done based on how I read it.

Un Ortho, you hit 103 is that correct? Were you running any kind of mufflers at the time? If so what? And finally what power do you have?

I am just trying to get a handle on what you were for a comparison?
103 W/ 1150's with some 6" HPI insets in 6" dry pipes...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by un ortho docs
The only problem I have is the FACT that it (noise ordinance) is not being enforced equally. If you get kicked off for being too loud, wouldn't you expect equal "treatment" for other violators?

By the way, we were joking about it--"103--is that good?"
I don't disagree but it goes the same for speed limit inforcement. Lots of people speed and only a few get stopped. Maybe the guy was an OSU alum, who knows.

I still disagree with making people leave the lake however, that is a little drastic. Pretty easy to get the registration numbers, hull numbers and put it into a data base and give them 60 days to fix it. Catch you again on the 61st day and you will aren't legal, then second offence and then giving you the boot, that I can see, but first offense is pretty drastic.

I just thought of a new business. Muffler Rental. Buy a chit load of mufflers for rent to visitors $25 a day plus a deposit equal to the cost of mufflers refundable when returned. Test it at the dock and send you on your way with a certificate. Partner with the WP to send violator to you, and if they show you a muffled boat the same weekend you void the ticket.

Might be a way to keep tourist from turning sour.

Last edited by Von Bongo; 05-25-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jesse James
Thanks Sean......do you ever ride out to Op on wed or thursday for bike nite? Thurday has a pretty good one at Fuel (next to raouls on 119th and metcalf)

i have a couple times, haven't gotten out much this year yet on it.... hence why it is for sale... probably will get another, but probably not this summer, too much going on....
Old 05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
103 W/ 1150's with some 6" HPI insets in 6" dry pipes...
Ouch, what's it going to take to get that down to 90? Thats a long way to go. Inserts and clamp ons? Can you do both without too much back pressure?

I hope when someone figures out the combinations they start posting them.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by un ortho docs
If you're referring to last weekend you are BADLY mistaken! The "yes sir, no sir, which ass cheek would you like kissed next approach was taken, as a matter of fact the officer stated that I had a great attitude for being asked to trailer my boat!!.. The only problem I have is the FACT that it (noise ordinance) is not being enforced equally. If you get kicked off for being too loud, wouldn't you expect equal "treatment" for other violators?

By the way, we were joking about it--"103--is that good?"
NO! I was not talking about you guys. I visited with one of your passengers. He said the same thing you did-you were very cordial, etc.

The incident I referred to was, as Sean mentioned earlier. It seems that perhaps Nor-techs might even be singled out now. I hope not, just because you have a nor-tech doesn't mean you are violating the law...YET anyway!

Like I said, it doesn't matter how they got it, but it appears the MWP has a hard-on for go fasts now.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Ouch, what's it going to take to get that down to 90? Thats a long way to go. Inserts and clamp ons? Can you do both without too much back pressure?

he has room for about 24" inserts which i think would get him into the mid to high 90's.... if he can get to 95 or less, he might get by with it..... 8 db's is a pretty good jump down in sound level..... we had some inserts there, but they were designed for wet pipes and not his dry style so weren't able to find out.. clamp ons migh work the best as it turns the last bit into a wet exhaust as it goes thru the clamp on, but they usually don't look very good...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

VB: There was a very good article in Hot Boat magazine a month or so back. They did tests on a bunch of different maufacturers mufflers, and posted the actual db that it lowered the boat's test.
I'll have to re-read the article, but I think they did two different motors as well. One stock, and one bigger cube higher hp motor. I'll look it up.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Registered

Thanks SO,

And thanks for visiting with Mike L about DCB's. He is a good guy.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Re: Memorial Weekend Loto- J-2005 Sound Law - Learn It

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
NO! I was not talking about you guys. I visited with one of your passengers. He said the same thing you did-you were very cordial, etc.

The incident I referred to was, as Sean mentioned earlier. It seems that perhaps Nor-techs might even be singled out now. I hope not, just because you have a nor-tech doesn't mean you are violating the law...YET anyway!

Like I said, it doesn't matter how they got it, but it appears the MWP has a hard-on for go fasts now.
Sorry Big Daddy... just kinda sensitive this time of the month...nice, sunny weekends. I need a hug...again.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had TMP install GGB muffler tips on my Black Thunder with 600 CU IN 750 HP EFI engines. the sound reduction was fantastic with no loss of power or RPM. You can carry on a conversation in normal tones at any speed and the loud exhaust does not fatigue you after a long cruise. Joe Murray

Quick Reply: Memorial Weekend Loto- J-2005 Sound Law - Learn It

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.