Potomac River incident 6/11

Notices

Potomac River incident 6/11

Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Potomac River incident 6/11

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
While I don't have any info that would allow me to directly challenge the author, I don't appriciate the editorializing. If the driver had been drunk, he would've been arrested. And he calls the poker runners arrogant. Was this on a fishing website?
My exact thoughts. I was in the run. The largest cat was a single engine 28 Profile. Not 45-50. This was not a wild poker run by any means. Fastest boat was a 37 Outerlimits, and never ran over 90 the whole day. Either fishing boater, or sail boater.

Last edited by dreamboater; 06-14-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered

We were also on the run. We had the biggest boat at 47ft. I don't remember anyone out of control and there was only one cat like dreamboater said.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

I'm not blaming you TomZ. Sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As described it sounds like a case of too much trim and an unexpected exagerated launch. The landing sounds every bit like a dead engine landing if we are to take the above editorilized account to heart. Like motorcylces; mini-bikes; hang-gliders; rock climbers; private pilots (of which I'm one); off-roaders; etc. etc. etc. if you don't stay on top of what's happening, your hobby can and will bite you. otherwise they wouldn't be fun.........Hope everything turns out all right for them...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the editorial has a few questionable statements, it was more like inexperince or operator error. Was just introduced to the owners at the previous card stop at Colonial Beach. Did not appear to be intoxicated at that time, about 20 minutes before the accident. The author wants to take a jab at " go fast boats" as in the only one that stood by was Full Tilt. It may be worthy to note that the good samaritan that dove in and swam to the the vessel in distress, dove in off a 35 Formula Fastech that had stopped to render assistance, a go fast boat. His name is Wayne Owens and was riding in a friends boat. He ended up driving the boat back to Goose Bay Marina. If someone should be recognized, I think it should be him!!!

Last edited by Beak Boater; 06-14-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

PatriYacht, i knew you weren't blaming me... I just meant to say that I didn't quite agree with the editorial.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I am the girlfriend of the owner of the boat that was in this accident.

First of all, I just want to tell you how thankful I am that my boyfriend and two of my very best friends are alive. Dr's orders wouldn't allow me to go that day but I spent some time laughing and hanging out with them at Gilligan's before everyone took off for Colonial Beach.

THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT!!!! NOT A CASE OF "DRIVER ERROR OR INEXPERIENCE." IT WASN'T A CASE OF TOO MANY DRINKS OR A WILD "OUT OF CONTROL" POKER RUN WHERE EVERYONE WAS GOING TOO FAST. I'd love to know who the author was of the post that TomZ found - because I'd like to ask him who the heck he thinks he is posting something like that without knowing all the facts.

The driver (DD), one of my very best girlfriends, whom I trust very much, was NOT drunk. She was not arrested or charged with anything. She is an experienced boater and has excellent nautical skills.

Her husband was in the passsenger seat and my boyfriend was sitting down on the bench seat in the back when the accident happened. She was thrown in to the dash panel and down to the floor, (14 stitches under her chin, severe bruising and a possible torn ACL - her ribs bent the steering wheel), her husband landed on top of her (stitches to his finger and a bruised leg) and my boyfriend was thrown forward and back down and has a broken back and he will be down for 6-8 weeks.

Wayne and Missy, Jeff and Wendy, J.D. and Jill are my heros. They are the ones who stopped to help them that day and get them back to the Marina and helped me with everything as well. As far as I am concerned, they all have wings and halos. I am very thankful for them as well.

Thanks to everyone that did send their prayers and were more concerned about the people involved instead of voicing opinions and stating things that just weren't true.

Charlene
Old 06-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for posting the facts. I hope your friends are doing well.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Charlene,
Thanks. We hope everyone heals quickly.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update, glad all are recovering. Sometimes we take for granted, just how fast something can happen that will change you for the rest of your life. This weekend we were out on the same part of the river. When I looked at that bridge a cold shiver ran down my spine. I thought, that could have been me, or so many others that we boat with. Hope to see you guys back out their soon!!!!!

Quick Reply: Potomac River incident 6/11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.