Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now? >

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Notices

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Stinger 312 - 2 of my favorite John Crouse photos too!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...and I almost forgot - Andreas Trost at Platinum Powerboats owns the old Bertram "Vincentive" pictured here in an ad and in the Bahamas 1980. It was owned and driven by Vince Fasano and throttled by Sammy James.
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-file0044a.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-file0049a.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Chatim,
There is a great picture of the "Maltese Magnum" on page 75 (I think) in Searace. There is also some great pics in" King of Thunderboat Row".
The person restoring it has taken alot of pics but is waiting untill it is done before posting any of them.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Chatim
The great Adventure 30 Sutphen is up North somewhere.
Berks Law 28 Cigarette was painted all blue an sold to a guy from Conn.
I built an new 28 Cig in 1979. WINGS That became Jessie James.
The Magic J 30 Sutphen Is now owned by someone on the website.

LS
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old 1979 Mary K 32 Viper back in the old days pic 1
same boat today pic 2
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-mary-k.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-wazzup-fly.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird
Hey J-Bonz,

If you're serious about INXS, let me know. The guy that owns it is a friend of mine, and I think he would like to sell it. I have no need to get into the deal, but can hook you up directly if you want. Call me 239-851-0322 'cause I'm not on here all the time.

James
Wow, Thanks alot but, honestly i am in no position to at this time. But i will keep on dreamin and drooling over th pics i have of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few oldies.
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-aronow5.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-67-flying-big-black-white%5B1%5D.r.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these threads. I constantly fantasize over converting an old raceboat to a pleasure badass.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

This is from another site regarding the second boat in Post #38-

1967 Maltese Magnum (restoration project)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal Way, Washington, Overall, the project is going great; there have been some of the ‘first-time’ wows in restoring a legendary boat of this kind.

Federal Way, Washington. The re-work of the Maltese Magnum (1967) Don Aronow race boat is going great, the transom has been completed on the inside the boat. The original transom setup in 1967 housed a single Mercury 427 –450 H.P. with a Speed Master II and in late 67, early 68, the drive was changed-out to a single 427-450 with a Mercury Speed Master III more reliability.

It ran the SM III for two or three years, then in 1970’s the boat was changed out to small block Chevy’s 350’s and TRS’s running as the White Knight under Frank Lach,

As the history goes from the long hours of research, Aronow ran a total of six 28’ Maltese Magnums in 1967 (2) with (3) 110 horsepower outboards (Mercury’s), (2) with single 427-450 h.p. and (2) with 427-450 h.p. twins. He ran white hulls in the U.S. and green hull in Europe.

This boat is the U.S. single and history show’s this also is the boat in the San Francisco to long beach race, Don launched the boat into a low flying helicopter, the water was big and the drive while the boat was running in second place.

In late 2002 the boat showed major transom riot and the previous owners template cut the transom for Volvo’s for the N.J. racing circuit. This has now been repaired, we used three new sheets of quality marine plywood with (3) layers of chop strand fiberglass matting and a finish layer (2) of old school woven-woving. He also cut part of the curb and the dash cake away to make a larger more current looking cockpit; this also has been reconstructed back to original. The setup is now going back to the Mercury Speed Master III to match the original time frame and obtain the best performance with it H.P. rating up to 650 to 700 H.P. from a stroked 427 tall deck motor.

This last winter, I worked on the duplication process of the motor hatch covers, we have one bad hatch to work from and sorry to say it is in poor condition. The first process will be to “splashed” the one good scoop to create a mold to build two new scoops from it. After this task is completed the next process will be to build one new plug using Rev-Chems foam panels with the new scoops primed, painted and attached. Then a new mold will be splashed off the hatch plug and two new hatches will be constructed and gel-coated.
(4 to 6 week process to complete) Next will be re-glassing the stringers, the entire cross members aft have been replaced and are ready for glassing there a two cross members fore to remove and replaced. This process has been completed.

As always, should any of you have any questions, comments or concerns, and or support please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Hugh Hulman (253) 874-4077
Email [email protected]
Regards,
Hugh
Old 07-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

More pics of oldies but goodies-
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-bounty_hunter_martin.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-mvc-016f.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-offshore-seacraft-31full.jpg  

Quick Reply: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.