Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap! >

I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Notices

I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Cord first off I hope this works out for you. I know it has been tough going this last year or so for ya.

As for the what to do, I would get a decent deposit from the first guy, if he is not sure then let him know that there is in fact another looking and the first one gets it. If you take the deposit then you let guy #2 know that you took a deposit but if it falls through then you will call him.

Good luck!!!!

Jon
I agree with Jon .. once you have a deposit let the other guy know .....
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so the first deposit gets the boat. When I tell the second buyer that I took a deposit, wouldn't that scare him off? Do I need to end the auction upon receiving the first deposit, or should I wait? I have a couple other guys that were kicking the tires, but I don't know how serious they were. if I end the auction, I can pretty well kiss them goodby. The problem is the way I have the auction set up. If I sell the boat off ebay, and keep the auction up, I could end up selling the boat twice.

Jon, Wally-I hope you guys can see that I have a major conflict of interest here. Wally, I know that I have some time for you, but Jon is another matter. I'm going to do my best to keep you up and running, but please don't be too mad if I fail. I still havn't received those drawings, so there's not much happening on my end anyways.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

I would take a decent sized deposit from the first guy willing to send it, and let each person know what the situation is. I think if you are up front with what is going on, the guys interested in your should understand and work with you. If somebody is serious about buying your boat, they should be able to make a decision in a week or less assuming they can get a survey done in that time.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Cord
Jon, Wally-I hope you guys can see that I have a major conflict of interest here. Wally, I know that I have some time for you, but Jon is another matter. I'm going to do my best to keep you up and running, but please don't be too mad if I fail. I still havn't received those drawings, so there's not much happening on my end anyways.
No problem Tim

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 538 Posts

If someone off ebay gives you a deposit then tell them even if they dont buy it you take a cut of it for ebay fee's .....its only fair i would think.....this way you can relist it again and say the deal fell through or something. If its a guy not associated with ebay....then tell him its listed on ebay and unless you get full payment before auction ends then it stays up and if someone does buy it on ebay they get first crack at coming up with the cash..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Registered

New to the board. I saw this post and had to respond. I was selling a classic car and I guy called me from Switzerland, said he would have the money deposited in my bank account and would work with me on shipping to switzerland. After a few words, I told him, you want it, come and get it and bring cash. He hung up. Also, never take a money order. The bank honors them immediatly but if the funds are not available for transfer from the buyers account, the bank removes the funds from your account. It takes about 10 to 30 days for a money order to finalize. If you move the funds, the bank will come after you because the other guy will never be found. Pretty scary since you thought you had the money and signed over the title. Just something to think about. If I were buying something long distance that was more then $2000, I would fly out and see it. What's $300 for a plane ticket and a couple days off. Good Luck.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
I can say without a doubt that this guy would NOT be dissapointed in Tim's boat. I've been all over it helping him rig it, I've driven it, and I've even towed it down the road!
You say this like it's a good thing....
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

This is how my deal went.
I recently sold my Active Thunder to someone 2000mls away.
I got a $2500 non-refundable deposit (certified check) to deliver the boat 900mls away, the buyer was going to meet me on the way to Florida to pick up my new boat. I got a photocopy of the balance check, which had the next sequence number (from the deposit check number) drawn on the same bank. My bank contacted his bank and the check amounts were verified. After the deposit check cleared and I had about 5 weeks of contact with the buyer at his place of business and home number I felt pretty comfortable.
My boat ended up being delayed so he came to me to hand me the certified check, take the boat, the signed title, and the bill of sale.

These two issues were concerns of my attorney aside from the fact that he thinks a lot of my boat transactions are nuts

He insisted I MUST DO THIS!

When you make out the bill of sale put a clause in that says, ANY LEGAL ACTIONS THAT TAKE PLACE AS A RESULT OF THIS TRANSACTION WILL BE HANDLED IN THE COUNTY OF _______, IN THE STATE OF WISCONSIN.

Worst case something does go wrong you want to make sure you are fighting it out in your home state with lawyers that are familiar rather than over the phone in 2000mls away.

His other area of concern was, the ownership of the boat is whoever has signed the title. If he pays you for the boat and you dont have his signature on the title, your responsible (or your insurance) for damage to the boat and you would have to refund his money.
So if I were trailering it before the title was signed it was mine.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered

if you end the auction early and the deal falls through you have no recourse with ebay. if the auction goes to the end and the guy doesn't pay you can get your listing fees back, from what i understand
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, looks like I'm a winner. The second buyer called me last night with a couple more questions. They asked if there were other serious buyers and I truthfully answered yes. I told them that the other buyer is about as serious as you are. I then talked to a board member who was interested in the boat for his buddy and then signed in to check my e-mail. Low and behold, the second buyer had hit the 'buy it now'. They want to have a survey done even though the listing has the sale not being conditional on the survey. I told them that I'd release them from the auction if there was a major defect. We clairified that a major would be a bad engine, drive or rot. I don't know of any issues with the three, so I don't see the survey as being a major issue. Still a bit nervous about it though. Either way, there is a non-refundable $500 deposit (I'm not greedy) which has yet to be paid. I then want to get some things fixed before having the survey completed. They are planning on coming up here to pick up the boat. We'll do a water test and then head to the bank. Because the bank with the lein does not have any local branches, I'll proably be meeting them in Chicago. We'll exchange the funds right at the bank and they will send out the lein release at a later date. I'm slightly concerned about the fund transfer occuring the day of the exchange, but I think a little preliminary leg work and prequalification should clear that up. All in all, he's getting alot of boat for his money. I loose the payment and my shirt on the deal, but I guess that's the way things go.

After trying to sell the boat on several bulletin boards for 9 months with only a couple insignificant contact, I finally gave up and put the boat up on ebay this past friday. I then put links up on Scream and Fly and Hotboat. The link on Hotboat generated two interested parties and one of them bough the boat. I don't thin the boat sold on price, as that hasn't changed. I think that it was because the boat was on ebay with a buy it now and the potential buyer was forced to make a decision right now or risk loosing the deal.

If some members want to give some good ramp locations on the north side, it would be appreciated. I need a ramp where there is enough room that we can take our time launching and not be hassled for the noise. I don't want a citation on the day I'm selling the boat. I'm going to see if they want to come on a Thursday. I doubt it, but if so, we'll stop by Blarney's on the way out.

Quick Reply: I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.