Notices

Battery Drain? HELP!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Drain? HELP!

I would do what Audiofn said he hit it on the head. pull one fuse at a time until the light goes out . At least if you look at a wiring dia, you will know what is on it.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I've been sending my buddy your posts. It's a 22' cat hull with two 40hp yamaha. The cat pontoons are filled with foam. The boat is self bailing and doesn't even have a bilge pump.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
Sorry I am no expert here but I had a bad iso box that was causing both of my batteries to drain. Could possibly be that?

Where/what is an ISO box?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe you left your headlights on
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Registered

It is blue box should have three bolt at the top, finned like an amp. Only about 8inches long, this was the problem on my boat and I know I don't have half the experience of these other guys. I do know you don't really need them though because we took mine off and I never had a problem again. It is used I guess to equally distribute power to each battery from the alternator but can go bad and cause the batteries to drain from my understanding.

Last edited by rastaboatin; 08-15-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, tell him to disconnect the main engine harness plugs one at a time and check with a meter or light as previously described. My bet is a bad diode in the charging rectifier.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Ron, tell him to disconnect the main engine harness plugs one at a time and check with a meter or light as previously described. My bet is a bad diode in the charging rectifier.
Both Motors? or both batterys are tied together & 1 bad diode is running both batterys down. Anything is possible.

I would make sure both batterys are not tied together. Then he will be able to figure out what side the problem is on.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Lots of places could cause a drain. Alternator with a bad diode will suck power, radio amplifiers, bilge pumps, interior lights left on during the day so no one sees them etc. Connect a volt meter between the neg battery post and the wire. if it reads the same as connected across the batery, the drain is present. A light like Audio said will work but only at higher drain levers(approx 1/4 amp) will be a dull glow, hard to see in daylight. If a meter across pos and neg posts shows 12v and a meter between neg post and neg cable( disconnected from battery) shows same reading, start disconnecting circuits one at a time until meter drops below battery voltage reading.

This is a great way to check.. Also if you turn your meter to amperage, and connect the meter from the neg. wire to the neg post this will show you how many amps you are drawing.. If your meter has that resolution.... But I agree with Airpacker.. Also insure that your battery switch is not on both batteries. This places the batteries in parrallel and drains them both.. Great for recharging but bad when you have a problem..
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Both Motors? or both batterys are tied together & 1 bad diode is running both batterys down. Anything is possible.

I would make sure both batterys are not tied together. Then he will be able to figure out what side the problem is on.

TJ, I suspect both batteries are tied together and one motor is the culprit. Of course, he could have had a bad battery originally which caused one charging system to take a dump and create the shorted diode or boosted it backwards and fried the rectifier on one or both motors? Can't tell without testing ya know