Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
For the love of God, do not buy a BMW >

For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Notices

For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Old 01-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27 FOUNTAIN-18 months?--sounds like you bought a used car--is the place you bought it from reputable?--i've worked for bmw for 18 years and put my wife in one--i don't think they have anymore problems than any other manufacturer--bash all you want--i'am sure toyota/lexus makes a great product-you would look good in one-john
Old 01-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A car, boat, plane, is only as good as the mechanic that is working on it. I would try another dealer.

Jon
Old 01-15-2002, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I did buy it used, however I have never bought a new car. This is only my 5th car and none of the others ever gave me this kind of trouble. Maybe it is just my car, but damn. I love the way it looks, and drives just stuff keeps going wrong????

Its like a love / hate relationship
Old 01-15-2002, 09:41 AM

JFM311,

You are right, we do have a 1993 Lexus bought is used in 1994, Twice as much use as the BMW no problems, and I do look good in it it just isn't a Conv

Will
Old 01-15-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

27 see what im sayin---it's all good --john
Old 01-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Kent Perroux

I had an 85 535I that I put almost 140,000 miles on before I sold it. One of the best cars I have ever had. Never got another BMW because the quality did not seam the same. I now have a 92 Merc 300E that has almost 130,000 miles on it with no major problems. Also have a Ford truck with 135,000 miles and still like new. I'd like a new "S" but see my buddies spending too much time and money still at the dealers.

Those $100 oil changes (should) include detailed inspections. I always do my own inspections and use that $100 for mobil 1 and gas for the boat.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I make a rather nice living fixing other peoples cars and I can tell you from experience that BMW really stands for Better Marketing Works.Parts prices are totally out of line on all "dealer only parts".But that goes for pretty much all european automobiles.The quality that you are paying for just doesn't exist anymore.In north america a mercedes is held up as the ultimate luxury vehicle.In the middle east,they are deisel powered goat and chicken haulers
In europe,BMW markets "economy" cars,Mercedes markets minivans.Its all in the way you look at things.If you like what you drive then it is a good car (for you).If you don't then inevitably its a **** box But,PLEASE KEEP buying those things,it makes my life much more comfortable
Old 01-15-2002, 10:26 AM

Airpacker,

Do you know what would cause a airbag light to come on??? Just don't want to get taken toooo bad.

Thanks
WILL
Old 01-15-2002, 10:30 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have a 99 M Coupe (the little hatchback version of the Z3 withet hM3 engine) I hate havign to clarify that all the time. She runs great Prior to that I had an 88 750iL which also ran great until i hit a wet spot and smacked a tree at 50.

First. Your oil service if the car is stillunder warranty shoudl be covered. When i bring my car in for service they never charge me. I will say the lack of loaners cars is a pain, but if you bring the car to the dealer you bought it from they usually will give you a loaner if you ask.

Second. Bemmers do get knocked out of alignbment easily. Apparently its due to soft thrust bearings. They can be replaced with DINAN bearing snad teh problem is fixxed. The stock ones are there to mak eteh ride softer. But can easily be knocked out of alignment. My 750, M coupe and girlfriedn 328 convtable and her father 2000 750iL had this problem.

Third. I have had the airbag light problem if the sensors gets wet it can turn the light on. It still will work fine just the light stays on. If you bring it in they will fix it free.

I love teh beemers.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Registered

Talking

We've had a number of BMW's (from a 2002tii on up) and never had a problem with any of them. We currently own an X5 and have never had a problem with it either. As for the $100 oil changes: our vehicle came with 3 years scheduled maintenance so we aren't paying ANYTHING for 3 years. It pays to buy a new car instead of inheriting another person's problems. Remember they got rid of it for a reason...

Sean

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: seanclong ]

Quick Reply: For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.