MADISON movie

Old 10-07-2005, 11:23 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: MADISON movie

Originally Posted by warbird
Ditto, Steve!! you're consistently a gentleman and a scholar.

Scholar??????????????????

Steve?

Steve David?

A scholar?

When did that happen?

T2x
Old 10-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortunate enough to go to the preview of this movie this spring for members of the Hydroplane and Raceboat museum.
http://www.thunderboats.org/
It was increadible to watch that movie in a sold-out 500+ person theater full of people passionate about the subject, as well as many team members and luminaries from the hey-day of the sport. If anyone ever visits the Seattle area, I can't recommend the museum enough...when is someone going to do the same thing for Offshore?

Also, if you make it up before January '06, you can check out the exhibit BOATS THAT FLY at the Museum of Flight.

I actually ended up seeing the movie twice before it left the Theater around here, it's a little over simplistic, but still a lot of fun. I will be buying it soon...

-EG
Old 10-07-2005, 12:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, I saw the movie at a prescreening on the East Side of Manhattan....in an almost empty theater.....

T2x
Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the movie too... I loved it... my girfriend loved it.... but it tanked at the theater because it didn't have enough explosions and creepy monsters.....
Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I saw the movie too... I loved it... my girfriend loved it.... but it tanked at the theater because it didn't have enough explosions and creepy monsters.....

You have explosions and creepy monsters in the theaters in California.........??

That explains a lot.

T2x
Old 10-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Hi Scott,

The Movie "Madison" is reality based, with a touch of "dream dust" that pretty accurately describes their 1971 APBA Gold Cup win. The characters referenced in the movie were real, and indeed were real characters in the truest sense. The current Miss Madison races as Oh Boy O Berto, boat # U-6. I've been driving her since the 2001 season. Several of the characters in the movie are still alive and still help out, including Tony Steinhardt and Bob Hughes.

The current Miss Madison (O'berto) was built by Ron Jones in 1988 for Alllison power. She was converted to turbine power and rebuilt in 1991 with the aid of the Budweiser team. She has since raced as Kellogs Frosted Flakes, DeWalt and Jasper Engines. Since 2000 she has been the O'Berto. She was thoroughly rebuilt again between the 2004 and 2005 race season. The 2005 season just ended and the boat ended up #2 in high points while I was fortunate to win the National Drivers Championship. This is the first overall championship the Madison has won in her 45 year racing career.

Thanks for inquiring Scott. Hope life is treating you well. If you find the time, feel free to visit one of our Unlimited races in 2006. I'll have VIP passes waiting for you. Schedule and info can be found at ABRAhydroplanes.com or MissMadison.com.

Take care,

Steve David
2005 Gold Cup:
Attached Thumbnails MADISON  movie-gold-cup-003.jpg   MADISON  movie-gold-cup-006.jpg   MADISON  movie-gold-cup-010.jpg  

Old 10-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
You're correct, the P-51 was Merlin powered. 1650 cubic inch V-12. That part of the movie was a bit of artistic freedom used by the Movie's directors. Had it been a P-38, with 1710 cubic inch Allisons, no doubt my guys would have "borrowed" the engines The spirit of the folks portrayed in the movie is very much the same spirit of the townspeople to this day. Gritty, hard working, self deprecating, yet racers with a dream to the core. Whether they are 6 years old or 96, they always have had a dream and they've always been the soul of our race program. I cannot imagine a finer team to be associated with.

Thanks to each of you for your kind words and for renting or seeing the movie. The 13,000 residents of Madison IN. thank you for your kindness. May I invite all of you to come to the Madison race in 2006, July 4th. weekend. We'll have VIP passes for each of you. We've a lot to share and I think it just might rekindle what the sport of boat racing was all about.

Take care,

Steve
Well said Steve
Old 10-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

Some quick digitals off 35mm prints I took in the pits before the 1993 Gold Cup as Kellog's Tony the Tiger:
Attached Thumbnails MADISON  movie-miss-madison-006.jpg   MADISON  movie-miss-madison-005.jpg   MADISON  movie-miss-madison-007.jpg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 10-07-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

This was driver Mike Hanson working on the boat before qualifying. A few years later, he was driving her as the Jasper Engines when she blew over in the backstretch approaching the Roostertail turn.

I was on the primary rescue boat to respond to the incident and watched closely as our rescue diver helped Mike out of the escape hatch on the bottom of the boat. I have photos of the blowover somewhere I will try to find and post.

Last edited by RedDog382; 10-07-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Registered

Vintage power:
Attached Thumbnails MADISON  movie-miss-madison-010.jpg  

Quick Reply: MADISON movie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.