Notices

Towing a 40ft boat

Old 11-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing a 40ft boat

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I have not yet towed my 40ft Excaibur Hawk. Next summer, I would like to take it from Chi-town to the ozarks, and maybe down to cumberland. My truck is a 2004 F250 Crew Cab short bed 4x4 with the 6.0 powerstroke diesel. I know it has the power to pull it, but Im curious as to how it will handle and stop the boat. I believe the boat weighs 9000 lbs, and the trailer maybe 2000? What do you think?
Add a tranny and exhaust gauge.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. If I go for it, i will be extra cautious. As of now, the trailer needs to be totally gone thru before I do anything to it. For the guys who pull big boats with the srw, how bad does it squat?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered

It depends on how balanced the boat is on the trailer.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered

My F250 doesn't squat at all. My triple axle trailer is very well set-up and the 42' Sonic actually pulls easier than the 33' Donzi.

Balance is the key young Grasshopper.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am towing our 40' Hustler with a 2003 GMC Yukon XL with the 8.1 L and 4.10 gears. The truck has plenty of power to tow the weight, and can get it out of the launch ramp in 4 low with no issue. I have a new Manning trailer with elect. over hydraulic brakes and 3 axels. The brakes make all the difference! It is like throwing an anchor out the back when I hit the pedal.

While the truck can handle the weight, I do plan to step up to a dually. The main reason is safety for everyone as well as insurance concerns. I am at the limit of the truck and do not feel comfortable with being so close to the max, should an accident happen.

My truck sags a bit, but nothing too bad (GMC air-ride suspension). As stated above, trailer tongue weight is key. The dually will help when (if) you get passed by a big semi on the highway. Also, if you cross over RR tracks at 40+ mph, you get a bit dicey.

I pulled the boat 400 miles and could maintain 60-65 mph and had no concerns stopping. However, better safe than sorry!

I would say, if you are asking the question, you may aready know the answer!

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience is with a wheelbase that short and single rear wheel, it will sway a bit above 60 and the trailer will push the back end of the truck in turns. I use an extended cab dually now and it is much more stable. Btw, I bet the weight of the boat is at least 10,000 and if the trailer is steel, it's 3000+.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Mild,
Since you have electric brakes on the trailer, I would definitely get an appropriately sized set of weight distribution bars with anti-sway bars. This will keep the sway down when you pass the semis or they pass you. Also, the weight distribution bars will load the whole truck, not just the rear end. I put the bars on my truck/trailer last year before coming to Chicago and it made a BIG difference. I takes the bounce out of the rig, especially on I-65 in Indiana and Kentucky. I would make sure that the brakes are adjusted properly, or if you are re-doing the trailer, look at putting disc brakes on it. Make sure you have good tires and can carry the appropriate weight. I am a big fan of drive guards on trailers also. On the weight of the boat, SeaRay says in their brochure that my 400EC weighs 16,000#s, and both travel lifts that it has been in says it weighs 21,000#s, so you can't just rely on the brochure. I hope this helps. There are a number of guys in Chicago that do alot of towing that should be able to help you.

Robert
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I work for Enterprise and my office is right down the street from the truck rental branch.. If you want to go that route let me know and I will help. I wasn't sure if you where talking about towing one time or everyday towing.....BZ
Old 11-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

MILD- The factory hitch is junk, get a Putnam XDR (Class 5) rated to 15,000 lbs. Cheap $ compared to the peace of mind this will give you.

The 40 Excalibur weighs easily 11,000 lbs.

Wannabe
Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
MILD- The factory hitch is junk, get a Putnam XDR (Class 5) rated to 15,000 lbs. Cheap $ compared to the peace of mind this will give you.

Wannabe
Yup, I'm putting a Putnam on my 2005 F-250. The stock Ford unit is junk - rated for only 5K?!?!?! WTF - my truck is rated for 12K and FoMoCo puts a factory hitch rated at 5K on it

Shop near me has the Putnam for about $280.

Quick Reply: Towing a 40ft boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.