ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE >

ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

Notices

ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

I guess if your financing it I can see where the insurance gets expensive. Find a 36 without so much power and the insurance won't be as much. But call State Farm that may solve your problems.

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont try to submit so many applications, they all wind up on the same desk in the end. That in turn throws up a red flag because every agent may put something different. And 8000. for a cat is one thing after taking the performance boat class you can save up to 10% so that want take a little off the edge Check it out www.performanceboatschool.com
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
<edited quote>...While I will always support all boating courses and continue to support the value of self education, any power boater will benefit from this course regardless of their background and experience level.
My insurance rates went up again this year and I’m sure they will continue to increase. If we want to save the last place on earth where we can enjoy virtually limitless performance freedom we must all take a pro-active role in the self preservation of this sport. Some will argue the number of accidents and deaths do not support the problem is with performance boats and the real problem is with smaller open family boats. But at some point perception becomes reality and the high profile and unique visibility of performance boats only attracts opportunity for regulators to regulate.
Tres’s course is not a joke…. The availability and cost of proper insurance is not a joke…. The risk of losing our performance playground is not a joke.
For the record… I have taken Tres’s course. I am an active duty U.S. Coast Guard Officer, I own a T/S Top Gun, I have taught Coast Guard Boating Safety courses with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I maintain a 100tT master’s license....
Brad Schoenwald
This is possibly one of the best, and smartest post I've read in a while.
I've been around boats all my life. Many many years ago I took a USCGA basic boating safety course for no other reason than to save on insurance. It was quite the learning and humbling experience. Although I felt confident in my boat handling skills, I realized much of what I "thought" I knew of laws and regulations was really hearsay from others who also had no clue. I was so impressed that I became a member of the Coast Guard Aux, and soon an instructor for those same BS&S safe boating courses. When I moved to Kansas I got away from the Missouri Coast Guard Flotilla, but I am still an instructor for the Kansas Wildlife & Parks Rec Boating Division which is accepted and endorsed by the USCGA.
My point? I would Highly suggest and recommend a safe boating course to everyone who may ever be on board or in control of any boat or PWC regardless of size or power. Whether it be the US Coast Guard, Power Squadron, or whatever local or state organization that is recognized by the USCGA. To my knowledge, every reputable insurance company offers some type of discount for successfully completing one of these courses. Besides, you may be surprised at what you learn.
I would also recommend any experienced boater look into Tres Martins performance boaters school. Just because you have a fast boat doesn't automatically make you a good driver. Neither does having racing experience. Any idiot can push a throttle to the wood. But a good driver knows when to back off. Although I myself have been known to participate in a race here and there, I would love to participate in the Tres Martin school. Just tapping into his experience would be well worth the money and time.
Your Insurance agent can tell you whether you would save even more on your insurance after Tres's school above and beyond a basic boating safety course, but regardless, it sure can't hurt.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THE IWSF ! Ihave the paperwork to back up my statement and their"coverage" goes through Canada,then to England,and then ends up in Panama.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sy,

Do any of your carriers offer v-bottom discounts for taking Tres's class?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

The course is one of several factors used to obtain a quote,but MARKEL is the only company that assiigns a direct discount for that particular course.I'm working with another of our carriers for a similar credit.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you supposed to do when the insurance companies
have a strangle hold on the cat industry.
I believe it was Speed2Lead that had a 30 w 300's and was
paying 3k last year now he had to sell because ins jumped
up to 6k thats a little steep wouldnt you say.
(Read his post first before commenting)
Dont get me wrong I believe that a 12k a yr premium is justified on the higher end cats (value and speed) but to put the smaller less expensive cats in that category isnt right.
6k a year for a cat that is a quarter of the cost but yet its half as much to insure.? And in some cases more like an 1/8 of the cost.

When the consumer finally says "thats enough" they take action in this case looking towards outside
US Insurance Companies or they take a stand against the institution.

Power to the Boaters!!!!

But then again Im no Insurance agent so
what the hell do I know

Last edited by ChiToWn TapouT; 12-01-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

Sy,

Are you working with ACE to get a discount in place? That is who you have me with at this time.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Yes !
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.