Notices

Dry Exhaust Vs. Wet

Old 01-04-2006, 12:15 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dry Exhaust Vs. Wet

Fred, Are there any mufflers that will work with a dry setup?
Why don't they work? Do they burn up? I'm gonna have to think about getting something to quiet these engines down soon, and probably this spring.

Would like a switchable muffler, just to use idleing around the docks, and in and out of the harbors.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10x
Fred, Are there any mufflers that will work with a dry setup?
Why don't they work? Do they burn up? I'm gonna have to think about getting something to quiet these engines down soon, and probably this spring.

Would like a switchable muffler, just to use idleing around the docks, and in and out of the harbors.
Frank, the only thing that's available currently is the GGB Extreme. The rest [to my knowledge] will have a melt down.

CMI has a new muffler for dry pipes that's in testing. It should be released in the spring.

The GGB's appear to be holding up well and those who've bought them give me good reports. I don't have any real decibel readings on them with dry pipes though.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:55 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Fred, but are the GGB's switchable? I don't want a full time muffler, so far all the GGB's I've seen were full time.
Like I said, I won't be needing em till June, but if something like what I'm lookin for comes up, give me a shout, and I'll take em.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10x
Thanks Fred, but are the GGB's switchable? I don't want a full time muffler, so far all the GGB's I've seen were full time.
Like I said, I won't be needing em till June, but if something like what I'm lookin for comes up, give me a shout, and I'll take em.
You're right.....the GGB's are full time.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
I don't think your going to find usefull switchable for dry.... I have switchable on mine. The purpose is the nuematic door closes and water is then held back. The water sloshing around muffles. With no water, no muffle.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
I don't think your going to find usefull switchable for dry.... I have switchable on mine. The purpose is the nuematic door closes and water is then held back. The water sloshing around muffles. With no water, no muffle.
I will vouch for the fact that DPT's exhausts are insanly loud... and sound great...

Man that video warmed my heart!

Thank God my boat is faster than him and he always is behind me!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Thank God my boat is faster than him and he always is behind me!!!
As Bob Dylan sings "The Times Are A Changin".... These rebuilds have, "bye bye GLH" written all over them.....

When I pass you Gl remember, I'm passing you with that extended cover girl that your buddy Phill says, "knocks 2 to 3 MPH Off the top speed".
Old 01-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The small "boat" clamp-on mufflers don't do much with dry pipes. I never got around to trying it while I had mine, but always thought an auto style race muffler should work. I have a set of augger inserts in the side pipes for my Corvette. I havn't run mine yet but others using similar ones and the sound level is low enough to drive on the street. With a trans setup the tailpipes should be long enough to accomodate them.

-greg
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Frank, the only thing that's available currently is the GGB Extreme. The rest [to my knowledge] will have a melt down.

CMI has a new muffler for dry pipes that's in testing. It should be released in the spring.

The GGB's appear to be holding up well and those who've bought them give me good reports. I don't have any real decibel readings on them with dry pipes though.
I did see a boat once with dry exhaust that was running speedmaster drives. Because of the transmissions they had some extra tail pipe length to install mufflers. The mufflers looked like standard Borla muffs that were water jacketed.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK

Fred, your statement above is completely wrong! Let's look at this situation:

1. Dry style tailpipes extend all the way through the transom and do not use any type of rubber hose connection. The tailpipe/riser is all one piece and connects to the header or manifold. These pipes are usually constructed from stainless steel.

2. A dry system would use one of the "Clamp-On" style mufflers available. These mufflers are also constructed of stainless steel. None of these muffler systems use any components that could melt down from exhaust gas temperatures at the end of the tailpipe.

3. The tailpipe is constructed so that at the end the inner pipe is swedged (expanded) out to form a seal with the outer pipe closing the water jacket. This does not form a perfect seal and you will usually find a small spray of water passing through this joint. In very few cases some builders have elected to weld this joint which can cause a problem with cracking due to the expanision/contraction of the pipes. Note that the cooling water is discharged through a separate fitting normally located on the top or side of the pipe about 6 inches inside the transom and connected to an overboard discharge.

4. Most manufacturers recommend that when you add a muffler system to the dry tailpipes you simply drill a 3/16" piss hole at the top of the inner tailpipe just before where the swedge begins. This provides a small spray of water to keep the mufflers cool. It's not enough water to cause a reversion problem.

5. If the owner of the boat did not drill the piss hole and the end of the pipe was welded so that there was no water spraying on the muffler system, the only result would be that the stainless muffler would turn a bluish color from the heat, it would not and could not possibly melt down.

6. The water in a wet system with mufflers does contribute to the mufflers ability to reduce the noise level. When the same type of muffler is used with a dry system the decibel reduction will somewhat less.

So to sum this up, GGB is not your only choice. Any of the clamp-on mufflers on the market today will work in this type of application.

Quick Reply: Dry Exhaust Vs. Wet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.