Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Mine was still painted up from the racing days until about five years ago, i wish he had left it the way it was, you can still see the circle on the deck though. I raced this boat with my 28 apache when it was still michelob light out of the avalon inlet in nj.it was one of the best races i was ever in, both boats ran low 80's i wish someone had fimed that one.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a picture I just took of "Dante's Inferno" from a Mercruiser Stern Drives poster that I have.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-dantes-sm.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
If memory serves it Inferno won the Bahamas 500 also!
You are correct! It was the '73 race and Willie Meyers was the driver. Willie lived in the Bahamas and knew every reef and coral head out there.

Years later he was with me as my navigator in a Bahamas race, and he brought me over a "Bahamas bank" that was so shallow he told me before the race....Don't look down, and don't slow the boat at all, keep it riding as high and fast as possible.

I still can't really say there was any water there, it was so clean it looked as if we were riding on air...it worked and we almost won the race. Blew one motor near the finish and came in second by 30 seconds to Jerry Jacoby in Ajac Hawk....that was the first ever win for the Top Gun Cigarette.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Boss O' Nova III from another poster.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-boss-o-nova-iiism.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure if you already covered this, but are outboard boats allowed? where can i get more info about this,like a shedule for the runs or meetings etc.?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana

What qualifies a boat for Historical status?
Boats (deepV's, cats, tri-hulls, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, surface drives) that have ever raced in the "Offshore Class" of any sanctioning body, at least 15 years ago or longer, qualifies. If the boat has a real race history, it is in.

What venues are we talking about?
The National Powerboat Association, one of the top Poker Run organizations in the country, has extended the HORBA organization an invitation to come and participate. The New York City Poker Run will allow any Historic Boat that is a registered member of HORBA to run in a special new class that has been made just for these boats.

The HORBA boats will be on public display throughout the weekend for viewing. This will be our first official event which will be held this summer on June 17, 2006.

UPDATE We have been invited to join the race events put on by OPA, they even volunteered to put on a special race for HORBA boats....details to come later.

UPDATE We have been invited to the Key West World Championship races in November. Display of HORBA old race boats all week, and a special one day in the water event...details to come later.

Membership Inquiries?
We are trying to determine how many Historic Boats are out there. If you are interested in joining HORBA, please e-mail us so that you will be put on the mailing list for updates and send us all the information on your boat, history, drivers etc.

[email protected]
This should answer the questions re what boats and power systems are allowed and what venues we are going to.....we still have to work out the details as we are getting more invitations to attend other events.

Outboards are always welcome, as they played a great part in the history of the sport.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-offshore-history0046a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 01-12-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
You are correct! It was the '73 race and Willie Meyers was the driver. Willie lived in the Bahamas and knew every reef and coral head out there.

Years later he was with me as my navigator in a Bahamas race, and he brought me over a "Bahamas bank" that was so shallow he told me before the race....Don't look down, and don't slow the boat at all, keep it riding as high and fast as possible.

I still can't really say there was any water there, it was so clean it looked as if we were riding on air...it worked and we almost won the race. Blew one motor near the finish and came in second by 30 seconds to Jerry Jacoby in Ajac Hawk....that was the first ever win for the Top Gun Cigarette.
The history is fascinating thank you! Custom engine (Stan Irwin)did a lot of work in those days too.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1997 I purchased "Nightmare" a 1979 staggered 35 cigarette with SSM3's raced with the number D-666. I dont know much about the history of the boat ,maybe someone out there does? Sold the boat to a friend of mine in 2001 after a total restoration and it has been sitting for 3 years,(I kept it full race). Best boat I have ever owned, I think I may get her back. The boat is in Michigan. I will try and post a photo. Great info on the old boats.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this one count? It just started racing again this year after a long rest. I believe it last raced in like 89??? Then 2005.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-side-shot.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-parade.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently saw the Chairman of the Board/Turkish Express boat. The same gentleman also owns the 38 Sutphen PleasureSeeker.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.