Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by hobbs
In 1997 I purchased "Nightmare" a 1979 staggered 35 cigarette with SSM3's raced with the number D-666. I dont know much about the history of the boat ,maybe someone out there does? Sold the boat to a friend of mine in 2001 after a total restoration and it has been sitting for 3 years,(I kept it full race). Best boat I have ever owned, I think I may get her back. The boat is in Michigan. I will try and post a photo. Great info on the old boats.
Did you buy it from Ray?
The last time that I saw that boat it was down in Biloxi MS in 1998, I'm glad it made it back to MI.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That "bubble boat" that was on ebay a while back is looking better and better...

I think it was the popeyes boat and probably wouldn't look half bad if brought back to its original paint scheme.

50k is still kinda steep though considering the work it will need to bring it back...

Last edited by Sean; 01-13-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver Bullet

Old 01-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

wow this is great hopfully this orginazation will be around in 20 years so i can be part of it

jr mike

Last edited by thedonz; 01-13-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Sorry Mike, What pictures do you want?

the one o your brothers Apache

jr mike
Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever happened to all the old Popeyes boats? They have to be out there somewhere . I wonder if anyone can find Al Copeland and find out where they went. I remeber going to a race on Lake Ponchatrain when i was a kid and watching one of his big cats (I think it had 4 motors and full canopied seeting for 6) with Chuck Norris driving it. That thing was awsome. Any info on these old boats should be easy for the right person to find.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
This should answer the questions re what boats and power systems are allowed and what venues we are going to.....we still have to work out the details as we are getting more invitations to attend other events.

Outboards are always welcome, as they played a great part in the history of the sport.
MAYBE for the point pleasant race you could get the boats on display at the old kings grant on land and in water ithink it is owned by the people who own clarks landing the is trusdales forget the first name, just a thought . what you are doing is great and could turn out to be very big lot of interest good luck bruce
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
The history is fascinating thank you! Custom engine (Stan Irwin)did a lot of work in those days too.

Stan Irwin was the man for giving you power. He built the engines for Doc Magoon to do the Miami to NY run with his 40 foot Cigarette. Photo below.

When I bought the Cigarette molds from Don to start banana boat co, Don rigged my first race boat for me and had Stan Irwin build the engnes for it. That thing was like a rocket.

Below is a shot of some big block engines Stan built for my Open Class boat Top Banana.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-offshore-history0024a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bushmills0011a.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
Whatever happened to all the old Popeyes boats? They have to be out there somewhere . I wonder if anyone can find Al Copeland and find out where they went. I remeber going to a race on Lake Ponchatrain when i was a kid and watching one of his big cats (I think it had 4 motors and full canopied seeting for 6) with Chuck Norris driving it. That thing was awsome. Any info on these old boats should be easy for the right person to find.
The triple-engine Popeyes V-hull is at Castaline Marine in Hollywood, FL. Still runs awesome with its aluminum hull and PSI blower motors. For sale at around $100,000 with the trailer it's on.

Last edited by Edward R. Cozzi; 01-13-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

Here is a photo of 1973 Magnum Sport , Before it was raced in the 1976
Benihana GP in Jersey.
Will try and get a action photo also.
Not sure where the boat is today as I redid it completely and sold it in 1982
to the late Jeff Galante, He inturn sold it to a woman from South Jersey,
I changed the name to Plum Crazy( M-51)

Thanks
Jim
Thanks,,
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-magnum3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.