Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

(Come on you South Florida guys....where is La Tortuga? forty four feet of yellow boat is not easy to hide.

Here she is with HORBA board member Bobby Saccenti, winning the first ever Benihana race.) by TOP BANANA

...I believe La Tortuga the 7th boat to finish that day, but the only boat to make all of the checkpoints....every one else was penalized...so La Tortuga won! I think I came in dead last, just under the 4 hour mark...broke a motor mount, broke the steering and broke a gast tank loose...but finished to receive the biggetst trophy in my collection..."LAST BOAT TO FINISH"

This should bring some more stories out...you can only read for so long with out saying something.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1986 Apacha Race boat i found on e-bay, Its for sale overseas.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-66_12.jpg  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The boat in the background in post 180 is "White Knight", a 28 Magnum. This boat was originally Don's "Maltese Magnum", and is being restored in Seattle Washington.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
The boat in the background in post 180 is "White Knight", a 28 Magnum. .
Al G's old magnum.

LS
Old 01-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is an old PERFORMER ad

Last edited by stinger312; 08-14-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a friend in Portugal who has the old 38 Bertram built for Bill Elswick originally called Long Shot for sale
Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How Much and whats in it?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Couple of decisions.

As regards to cloning ....the Board has decided that cloning would take away from the value of the original boats, so no cloning will be allowed.

Second modern power vs original. The decision was made to allow modern power. The most important thing is to get the old boats out and running where they can be seen and appreciated. We don't want someone stopping a restoration project because they can't find an original set of Kiekhaefer Engines.

We encourage anyone with all the original stuff to use it. But we don't want to be prohibitive by putting all kinds of rules to slow this down.

If you have used modern power and find the original stuff later, retrofit, but do whatever you can now to get the boats running again.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Hey why donīt you if you start racing get a support class like we have with the Historic racecars here in Europe.

Meaning one can attend with a period correct vehicle but not running in same class or heat. Thatīs how Classic Offshore is run in Scandinavia as the raceboat of yesteryear arenīt to be found but itīs sisterboats are "plenty".

Thisway the real raceboat do get outed but not run too seriously to preserve them and the old hulls with no use gets thrown in and makes a period correct starting field ?

Regarding running modern power sounds good as the power then probably will be up to par with what they had in the first place and not being overdone.
*for example Kiekhaefer did run 496 stroker BBCīs plus Kinlser(?) Stack injectors...those both can be purchased even nowadays brand new or built from aftermarket parts.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-18-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered

If I may add my two cents...

Modern power okay, but a period correct boat made to look exactly like a former race boat is not? I don't understand the rationale...but it's your party...I think there are a limited number of race boats out there to begin with, so count on a very small fleet.

I was seriously giving this some consideration, but now...not so much.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.