Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

I think the rules are OK. Its like the historic races at monterray(sp?).
Its HORBA... not HOBTLLRB(historic offshore boats that look like race boats)

Also, you will not have any replicas showing at Pebble Beach.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean - I can understand where you are coming from. Personally I'd love to see a "clone" made of the original 24' top banana which was destroyed...

But there are a couple of things to keep in mind about these old race boats. Back then, race boats and production boats were VERY different animals. Take a look at the stringers & bulkheads in IKE's Michelob Light boat earlier in this thread - this was a very different boat than a production Scarab of the day. I think it may be cost prohibative to make an old production boat into an old race boat if we are going to be really technically correct. Who is really going to rip off the deck and glass those kind of stringers and bulkheads into their production Scarab and at what cost?

I think we are losing sight of what is trying to be done here. Seems to me that the main goal is to preserve these rare original beasts for the generations to come before it is too late. Why do we want to do this? In my opinion, I think they represent an important part of our collective offshore history and should not be forgotten. It will be difficult to preserve them if their values can't be stabilized and we will continue to see them be destroyed as in the past.

Perhaps there will be a place for clones in the future of HORBA much like early 70's Porsche 911 clones so prevalent in vintage auto racing today...but we must first concentrate on the originals to set the bar and get this going. Historic Auto racing (like HSR) did not begin with clones but they were allowed to compete later on.

MickeyFin's idea of seperate classes definitly has some merit as a future workable solution and I am sure HORBA will be open to more suggestions as time goes on and this gets going...

Bottom line is keep your ideas and opinions coming!!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Come on you South Florida guys....where is La Tortuga? forty four feet of yellow boat is not easy to hide.

Here she is with HORBA board member Bobby Saccenti, winning the first ever Benihana race.

Is "White Knight" in the background of the first pic a 27 Magnum Sport?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Just heard about Bob Shug's old cat "Pipeline" was still in Jersey? And that someone is looking for Joe Calabro's "Finish Line boat, another cat. Jesse Jame's old Cigarette is still up here in Connecticut. We're looking into some other old stuff as well,Thanks HORBA!!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Charlie here are some more pics
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-032-large-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-033-large-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-034-large-.jpg  

Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I Love this boat
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-041-large-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-042-large-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-apache-scarab-037-large-.jpg  

Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Ike

There are a lot of fans waiting in New York City to see that boat.....get working, you have a date in June to be met!!!!!!

And wouldn't it be nice if Budweiser came up with some cash to help in the restoration????

Any big distributors out your way that would jump in??
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

24Degrees,
White Knight was a 28' Magnum, this model was also referred to as a "high deck" due to the deep freeboard. The 27' Sport is the same hull, but shorter, and cutdown freeboard.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's that Triple-engine Performer from the Miami boat show as discussed earlier in this thread.

IKE - thanks for posting the pictures! The boat looks to be in great shape. I really like the drive-shaft support structure and corresponding steps - very nice.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-file0048a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-file0049a.jpg  

Last edited by Chatim Racing; 01-18-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 818181
. Jesse Jame's old Cigarette is still up here in Connecticut.
That is the 28 Cigarette that I built new in 1979 & raced that year called "WINGS". I've got a ton of pictures as it was being constructed. I spent every day at the factory from start to finish.

LS

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.