Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by obads 31
Edward R Cozzi could you tell me who desinged the wellcraft 26' hulls from the early 80's Both the scarab and the nova. I have an '81 that was built with a S/B V-drive 72C hooked to an Arneson #6 ( a nova ) Was told w/Craft built 10 like mine and some were raced. Any info would be GREAT thanks AW
Sorry I have not answered sooner, but I just read this post this morning. Unfortunately my answer is "I don't know."
What I DO know is that Alan Brown, "Brownie" designed the early Nova hulls. He would be the best one to ask.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

I am going to try to attach some old photo's of 38 Bertrams and some of the old racers. My computer skills are limited so bear with me.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you that frequent the North Shore of MA, drive down Merrimac St in Newburyport, and diagonally across from one of the marinas, (and what was Kathy Ann's bakery) is an old cat, maybe 35' or so, with a tarp partially over it, sitting in a dirt lot, close to the street. It is red and white, with a name down the side in black. It has been there forever, no idea who owns it and I always meant to pull the tarp, get the name and take a picture of it, but never did. Haven't been up there in about a year or so, but last I checked it was still there.

I grew up in the same town as Carlton Berry, (older than me by quite a bit, but...) he owned / raced "Berry's Mover" (he was in the moving business) and he had a "Michelob Light" V for a while, (not sure if he owned it or not?). I also worked for Paul Blizzard one summer at his marina on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. He owned "Stray Cat", a 30' Shadow Cat (sunk in the Bahamas during a race if I remember correctly?). Also Dave Street (Street Electric) from the same lake, had an Apache Cat that he raced back in the early 80's.

Very cool thread BTW, I love the old stuff - just good-ole-fashioned "offshore" as it was meant to be.

Last edited by DoTheMath; 01-19-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Not sure but a totally glossy black CUV/Cougar Cat around 45-50ft was back in 1989 serviced at a Marina in Ibiza,Spain and it had 4 SSMīs plus 4 engines.
Might be one of them or a former UIM boat.
The transom read "El Boss" Munchen.

This boat was a copy of the original Popeyes 50' Superboat, power was from four 575hp Mercruisers, later repowered with 750hp Zuls and a canopy was fitted. The boat was built for a German, think he still has it
Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
I think the rules are OK. Its like the historic races at monterray(sp?).
Its HORBA... not HOBTLLRB(historic offshore boats that look like race boats)

Also, you will not have any replicas showing at Pebble Beach.
Almost Every "Damn" Prancing horse is a replica there..meaning they are rebodied and re-engined as most of them have been abused hard after their prime time.
Iīts just how you look at it.

Iīd go with allowing period correct boat models that have been raced.Outdrives can be changed to more modern but the overall look must be according to period if you start calling something historic.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-19-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CougarM
This boat was a copy of the original Popeyes 50' Superboat, power was from four 575hp Mercruisers, later repowered with 750hp Zuls and a canopy was fitted. The boat was built for a German, think he still has it
Any Race History?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean
If I may add my two cents...

Modern power okay, but a period correct boat made to look exactly like a former race boat is not? I don't understand the rationale...but it's your party...I think there are a limited number of race boats out there to begin with, so count on a very small fleet.

I was seriously giving this some consideration, but now...not so much.

I wish you all the best of luck.
Why make a clone of a raceboat from a period correct model ?
why just invent something new and have it painted etc period correct...and allow it to race if wanted thatīs how itīs done over the pond here.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Now, one of the problems we see is the lack of the "real" things out there for restoration. If someone wanted to find a bunch of #3 drives they would have a problem. So do we allow the boats to run with a modern setup or even allow other drives, Konrad or Teagues to be used just so the boats can run?
Vintage racing does allow you to change motors as long as the HP rating is similiar. We used to race a Porsche 910 that used to have a 8 cylinder in it. The cost of running the 8 was out of this world so when we raced it, it always had a modified 6 cylinder. It was a little slower but since there were not many 8's in this world the 8 came out and went into the owners basement.

Jon
Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
Any of you that frequent the North Shore of MA, drive down Merrimac St in Newburyport, and diagonally across from one of the marinas, (and what was Kathy Ann's bakery) is an old cat, maybe 35' or so, with a tarp partially over it, sitting in a dirt lot, close to the street. It is red and white, with a name down the side in black. It has been there forever, no idea who owns it and I always meant to pull the tarp, get the name and take a picture of it, but never did. Haven't been up there in about a year or so, but last I checked it was still there.

I grew up in the same town as Carlton Berry, (older than me by quite a bit, but...) he owned / raced "Berry's Mover" (he was in the moving business) and he had a "Michelob Light" V for a while, (not sure if he owned it or not?). I also worked for Paul Blizzard one summer at his marina on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. He owned "Stray Cat", a 30' Shadow Cat (sunk in the Bahamas during a race if I remember correctly?). Also Dave Street (Street Electric) from the same lake, had an Apache Cat that he raced back in the early 80's.

Very cool thread BTW, I love the old stuff - just good-ole-fashioned "offshore" as it was meant to be.
Biggus knows what that boat is.

Jon
Old 01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Sean - I can understand where you are coming from. Personally I'd love to see a "clone" made of the original 24' top banana which was destroyed...
There lies a problem.
Charlie you know probably the hull no of top Banana right ?
Then anyone else who nows a former hull no might make a "real" one of a lesser hull if he knows the details?
Well how do you I know about that ?
Dont Ask, I could tell you but then Iīd had to....shut you :-)

But there are a couple of things to keep in mind about these old race boats. Back then, race boats and production boats were VERY different animals. Take a look at the stringers & bulkheads in IKE's Michelob Light boat earlier in this thread - this was a very different boat than a production Scarab of the day. I think it may be cost prohibative to make an old production boat into an old race boat if we are going to be really technically correct. Who is really going to rip off the deck and glass those kind of stringers and bulkheads into their production Scarab and at what cost?
Well probably the difference with a race Scarab vs. production one is that they just look alike.
Race Scarabs weīre built in California at Team Scarab and the regulars at Wellcraft, had a totally different build plan and differed even in build material and lay-up scheme.
But who would make those changes, someone with a total project to begin with !?
I see a problem there to supervise and itīs just a matter of time before it starts to happen, believe me because suddenly every project is a possibly a former Raceboat and projects prices go up considerably from now on.

I think we are losing sight of what is trying to be done here. Seems to me that the main goal is to preserve these rare original beasts for the generations to come before it is too late. Why do we want to do this? In my opinion, I think they represent an important part of our collective offshore history and should not be forgotten. It will be difficult to preserve them if their values can't be stabilized and we will continue to see them be destroyed as in the past.
Think you inflated them already

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.