Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

holy chit, i talked to my dad and he said thats who he bought it from....He said he owned huge flea market places wait till you guys see the pics i have of this boat after my dad redid it in the 80's..

Thanks a million top banana.........

i love this website...............
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy is a Pilot, He flew Preston Henn out to the Monterey Historics about 10 years ago when Porsche was the featured Marque.
Preston is a Factory Porche Driver of note and ran a Long Tail, Lemans Turbo car in the historic race main event.
(The whole field got whooped by a 914/6, but that's another story)

Anyway, Preston Henn made it into the Porsche history books as well as Searace.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregsz
My buddy is a Pilot, He flew Preston Henn out to the Monterey Historics about 10 years ago when Porsche was the featured Marque.
Preston is a Factory Porche Driver of note and ran a Long Tail, Lemans Turbo car in the historic race main event.
(The whole field got whooped by a 914/6, but that's another story)

Anyway, Preston Henn made it into the Porsche history books as well as Searace.
There were enough offshore guys involved in auto racing that we may have a special section on our website to cover that.
http://www.historicraceboats.com

Most of us were in IMSA with sportscars, or ran the outlaw race, THE CANNONBALL, across the country........but some people like Bill Elswick and Joel Halpern had NASCAR teams.

It was a colorful time for sure.

Web site is in the hands of the web people, I am off to Alaska for 2 weeks on Sunday, so enjoy the new stuff they put up there and hope to see many of you at our first event, the New York City poker run in June.

Charlie McCarthy
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Alaska please explain this

jr Mike
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz
Alaska please explain this

jr Mike
Mike everyone needs balance in life....can't be palm trees and fast boats all the time.

Here are a couple of shots of Preston Henn's Porsche 935 with Bob Wollek and AJ Foyt driving in the Miami Grand Prix.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-preston-henn0001a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-preston-henn0002a.jpg  
Old 05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Here are a couple of shots of Preston Henn's Porsche 935 with Bob Wollek and AJ Foyt driving in the Miami Grand Prix.[/QUOTE]

nice.... the good ole days man i wish i lived the 80's..only god knows where i would be today

jr mike
Old 05-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Registered

Back from vacation in Alaska and getting ready for our first event of the season in New York, the NYC Poker Run on June 16th and 17th. We have a special class just for the old offshore race boats.

We will have an on land display, with a great old Sutphen from Connecticut that has many race victories.

The famous Ghost Rider is being readied with new turbo motors to run again after 40 plus years.

Our own Ron P is coming with the famous Cigarette, Dry Martini, and we have promises of many other legends coming out of retirement for another run at glory.

Hope to see many of you there, it should spark a lot if interest in the restoration of these old boats.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-ghost-rider0007a.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

tttt
Old 05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Remember that there were a couple of those boats. Don had one in the states an another in Europe. The Carr brothers bought one and were killed in it in Australia. The boat was then bought by Arnold Glass, and after that I don't know.

The European one was bought by Vincenzo Balesteri and campaigned in Europe as Black Tornado. I emailed his son a while ago, but he didn't have any knowledge of where the boat went after his dad sold it.

Another boat out of that mold was the 32 Beep Beep that ran in sports class with a different deck on it.
Two was the Cary 32' that Balestrieri bought from Aronow. The "The Cigarette" that Aronow used in Europe and another new one. All was named Black Tornado and was used by Balestrieri(former The Cigarette) and the other one by Cosentino in two races only(Wills Trophy in England and Naples Trophy in Italy).
The one of Cosentino was customed in 1971 and shorted at 31' with a extra light wodden deck. Used by Balestrieri in some races in Italy it suffered damages in the deck at the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio won by Wishnick 32' Boss O'Nova in rough seas.
Then the 31' was sent in USA where in the Sam Griffith Trophy in 1972 was used by the rookie De Angelis.
At least the 31' was used by Al Sahlman to set a new speed record in 1974 at Marina Del Rey.
The former Aronow's 32' was used by Balestrieri to win the 1970's UIM World Championship. In 1972 the 32' was to sobstituted the 36' in calm waters,and won some races like the Viareggio -Bastia-Viareggio setting the race speed record.
After that year I haven't others info.
I think that it became a cruising fast boat.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Here's another in the OSO classifieds.....
I think it is the Conquest of the frenchman J.P. Fruitier that used it at the end of the '80's like Rocky-Euromarche'.
It won the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes in 1987.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.